VMware Communities
handytom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to get 2 virtual NICs working when there is only 1 physical NIC?

Hi

Running VM Fusion 2.0

I want to create a Virtualversion of Ubuntu that will have 2 virtual NICs that are both connected to my 1 physical NIC.

I have successfully added the NICs but when I run ifconfig only eth0 shows up

I edited the vmx file by adding the lines below but with no success

ethernet1.connectionType = "custom" ethernet1.vnet = "vmnet2"

Anyone know how to go about doing this?

Cheers

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume that you set up additional virtual networks in Fusion using something like: , since vmnet2 doesn't come configured out of the box with Fusion, and there's no way in the GUI to do it.

I'm interpreting what you're trying to do as creating two virtual NICs in a VM both bridged to the same physical NIC in the Mac. Can you explain what you're trying to accomplish by doing this? This configuration could result in two interfaces with an IP address on the same subnet, which many UNIX-like (and Windows) kernels don't take very kindly to.

You may also need to check Ubuntu's network configuration (to make sure that the new NIC is enabled and configured).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just have both virtual NICs as bridged, which will use your primary physical NIC.

handytom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have them both set up as bridged but when I go ifconfig I only get results for eth0, how can I see the setting for eth1?

0 Kudos
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Make sure that the second network adapter is connected to VM in VM settings.

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
handytom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the responces so far

I can confirm that both NICs are set up in settings as CONNECTED and BRIDGED

Anything else I can have a look at.

T

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume that you set up additional virtual networks in Fusion using something like: , since vmnet2 doesn't come configured out of the box with Fusion, and there's no way in the GUI to do it.

I'm interpreting what you're trying to do as creating two virtual NICs in a VM both bridged to the same physical NIC in the Mac. Can you explain what you're trying to accomplish by doing this? This configuration could result in two interfaces with an IP address on the same subnet, which many UNIX-like (and Windows) kernels don't take very kindly to.

You may also need to check Ubuntu's network configuration (to make sure that the new NIC is enabled and configured).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
handytom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Techonogeezer,

That sounds like something important that I am missing :smileysilly:

We need to create VM servers for a demo app that uses 2 NICs. We want to ship it to potential customers so they can test it out and would like it flexible enough so that it can be run on machines with only 1 physical NIC.

I have VM Fusion myself but it looks as if I will have to find out how to do this with the VM Player as we cannot reply on people being able to alter (or even purchace) VM Fusion themselves.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to achive this with just VM Player?

Cheers

Tom

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've done something similar for demo purposes (both for Fusion and Workstation). For demo purposes, I rarely have to access the outside world (i.e. the physical NIC). Most of the time my demos run on completly virtual environments. However, there are times when I want to run something from the host accessing a VM - like a share, web application, database, or admin console.

To do this, I've got either two host-only networks (the one out of the box, as well as one custom), or a combination of a bridged and hostonly network. Assign the two virtual NICs (one on each virtual network) to your VM.

Both of these networks can be accessed from the host and by any other VMs that you might have running concurrently configured similarly.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos