VMware Communities
superfly75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to exclude user data from VM image? (Fusion)

Hello,

I have just started to use a new MacBookPro with 750GB after using a XP laptop for years.

I would like to continue to use that old XP as an image in Fusion 5.

However I don't want to include in that image all the MyDocuments data (~500GB) since I have already moved it to my Mac.

Is there a way to exclude folders? (I started the assistant and it says space needed : 656 GB, space available 161 GB. Of course that doesn't fly...

I had a look at the forums and FAQ, but did not find anything relevant, other than clues that it might actually be impossible...

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware does not offer that type of aggregate control when doing a P2V with VMware vCenter Converter Standalone  or the Migration Assistant in VMware Fusion.  If you're already moved the User Data to the Mac and since you can't legally continue to use the Physical Machine if you virtualize it, unless it a VLK version and you have the appropraite number of licences, then you could just delete what you don't want included in the Virtual Machine and then do the P2V.  Also keep in mind that if it's an OEM version you are not entitled to move it to another system, physical or virtual, as OEM installs live and die on the original system installed by the EULA.  So if it's not a Retail version or a VLK version with the appropriate number of licenses then it's a moot issue.

In the event it's not an OEM version then I'll mention that in the past I've used Ghost to P2V creating an image that excludes whatever I set in the exclude list and this would be ideal if you didn't what to delete the User Data for whatever reason.  If you do not have the right version of Ghost to then use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to create a Virtual Machine from the customized image then it can still be done although one then needs to manually inject the appropriate drivers and Windows Registry entries for the mass storage controller and keyboard to get past the expected BSOD when doing a manual P2V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware does not offer that type of aggregate control when doing a P2V with VMware vCenter Converter Standalone  or the Migration Assistant in VMware Fusion.  If you're already moved the User Data to the Mac and since you can't legally continue to use the Physical Machine if you virtualize it, unless it a VLK version and you have the appropraite number of licences, then you could just delete what you don't want included in the Virtual Machine and then do the P2V.  Also keep in mind that if it's an OEM version you are not entitled to move it to another system, physical or virtual, as OEM installs live and die on the original system installed by the EULA.  So if it's not a Retail version or a VLK version with the appropriate number of licenses then it's a moot issue.

In the event it's not an OEM version then I'll mention that in the past I've used Ghost to P2V creating an image that excludes whatever I set in the exclude list and this would be ideal if you didn't what to delete the User Data for whatever reason.  If you do not have the right version of Ghost to then use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to create a Virtual Machine from the customized image then it can still be done although one then needs to manually inject the appropriate drivers and Windows Registry entries for the mass storage controller and keyboard to get past the expected BSOD when doing a manual P2V.

0 Kudos
superfly75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Woodyz,

OK. Thanks for the clarification and suggestion. I'm just cautious that I won't be able to do all the things I need on the Mac hence keeping my old machine up and running is critical for me. I'm not even sure that I will be able to move the VM as, as you pointed out, it's illegal to move an OEM version... Which is not helpful at all in my case... and was not clearly mentionned when I purchased Fusion5.

Thanks.

0 Kudos