VMware Communities
dbaps2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to downsize my W7-64bit virtual disks on Fusion 3.1.2

A few months ago I created from a DVD install a Windows 7 64-bit 120GB virtual machine. I've never checked the disk space until a few weeks ago and now I have two .vmdk files over 160GB with one .vmwarevm. I've never created any snap files so I'm confused how this happened and how to fix this issue?  After all a MacBook Pro only has so much disk space Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay it looks like the on Virtual Machine that you have is "/Users/dbaps/Virtual Machines.localized/Springer31.vmwarevm" and it's only using the Springer31.vmdk virtual hard disk that is inside the Virtual Machine Document Package so I can not tell you where the two ~165GB .vhd files are from so you'll have to deal with that on your own.  Did you have Parallels installed at some time or did you create them with Windows 7?

If you have VMware Tools installed and no Snapshots you can use VMware Tools from within the Guest OS to shrink the virtual hard drive and it should shrink to  the size Windows Explorer is showing how much is used.

Also you've assigned 4 processor cores to the Virtual Machine and over commitment of the processor cores will slow things down so I would not assign more then two and you are assigning 1/2 of the Host's RAM to the Virtual Machine and this of course uses more then what you've assigned, some for the VMware Fusion App and some for Video RAM so you're really using ~4.4GB of RAM just for VMware Fusion and the Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please Control-Click the vmwarevm package in the finder and post a list of files showing names, sizes, date/time. I'm almost sure there must be a snapshot. How much free disk space do you currently have on the host?

André

0 Kudos
dbaps2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attaching file of Finder...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While the screen shots provide some information they do not provide adequate information to determine if there is any relationship between the two large files outside of the Springer31.vmwarevm Virtual Machine Document Package and it would be better if you would use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.  Otherwise at a minimum to determine only what the Springer31.vmwarevm Virtual Machine requires we need you to archive (compress) the .vmx and the .log files from within the Springer31.vmwarevm Virtual Machine into a single Archive.zip file and then attach it to a reply.

0 Kudos
dbaps2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry about that...I am new to Fusion.  Here is my attachment.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay it looks like the on Virtual Machine that you have is "/Users/dbaps/Virtual Machines.localized/Springer31.vmwarevm" and it's only using the Springer31.vmdk virtual hard disk that is inside the Virtual Machine Document Package so I can not tell you where the two ~165GB .vhd files are from so you'll have to deal with that on your own.  Did you have Parallels installed at some time or did you create them with Windows 7?

If you have VMware Tools installed and no Snapshots you can use VMware Tools from within the Guest OS to shrink the virtual hard drive and it should shrink to  the size Windows Explorer is showing how much is used.

Also you've assigned 4 processor cores to the Virtual Machine and over commitment of the processor cores will slow things down so I would not assign more then two and you are assigning 1/2 of the Host's RAM to the Virtual Machine and this of course uses more then what you've assigned, some for the VMware Fusion App and some for Video RAM so you're really using ~4.4GB of RAM just for VMware Fusion and the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
dbaps2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The processor value and the memory setting are just from my last test.  Basically I was trying to figure out on my laptop what was the best balance for each.  Thanks though, I do appreciate your comments.

Yes, I did have Parallels installed but the Windows Fusion VM was created from scratch.  Let me see if I can get it down to the normal 120GB size.  It's funny, at work I could just run VMWare Converter and do a VtoV and be done.  Such is life...

0 Kudos
dbaps2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I renamed the two .vmdk files that were supposedly not used and yes, you were right. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos