VMware Communities
jannesalovaara
Contributor
Contributor

How to disable mac keys when using Windows on Fusion

Hallo,

Im using VMFusion and running Win XP on it. Im trying to use Rhinoceros but the essential F11 key just hides all the windows on OS X while im trying tho get Rhino to show the anchor points. So how can i get the Windows window on WMFusion to over ride the mac keyboard commands?

Thanking in advance,

Janne

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

If you are on a MacBook/MacBook Pro you need to use 'Fn+F11' insteand. Other than that, you may want to disable 'Use Mac OS keyboard shortcuts' in the 'Preferences' menu...

Ciao, Andreas ...

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

There is a program I ran across "Input Remapper" which you might want to look into. I use it to keep the fans running and system cooled down, so I didn't look into the keyboard aspect.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58373&st=0

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

There is a program I ran across "Input Remapper"

which you might want to look into. I use it to keep

the fans running and system cooled down, so I didn't

look into the keyboard aspect.

You use a key remap application to control the fans? Sometimes developers seems to have strange ideas about what to put into their products...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
jannesalovaara
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Andreas!!!

I have never actually looked at the preferences except during running of an virtual machine - the preference panel changes during it...

Should look before ask - but note to the developers weird thing to do preference panel like that.

Regards,

Janne

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

Well I guess you can take it up with the guy who wrote it rather than just attack it. But it was written like many due to need - running Windows was causing over heating playing games and so someone added fan support.

It works on Mac Pro, too.

Under OS X there is another 'fan only' utility smcFanControl that came out as a MacBook Pro only (v. 1 series) that was updated to v. 2 that supports the fans in Mac Pro - and really helped keep FBDIMMs cooler.

Shoot the messanger... I'm only mentioning utilities that work and help solve problems.

BTW: what is with "generic" mouse in Vista under Fusion?

I really miss what I have come to enjoy with better mouse driver and program the 4-button MS Optical IntelliMouse. Tells me "not detected" and can't assign special keystrokes.

Does Fusion offer a way to assign keys to 4-button mouse?

Did I miss something? because I really miss that feature -- a LOT!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think Andreas was attacking it, just expressing surprise that a key remapper[/i] controls fan speed[/i]. It is a bit unintuitive. While developers can certainly add whatever features they want, once you add in enough new features, it might make sense to rename the product.

Fusion presents a generic PS/2 wheel mouse to the guest, which is why it doesn't see your fancy 4-button mouse. It's possible to pass your mouse through to the guest to get all the functionality, but if you want to do this, be sure to read the explanation of why we don't do this by default. Search the forums for usb.generic.allowHID.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Well I guess you can take it up with the guy who wrote it rather than just attack it. But it was

written like many due to need - running Windows was causing over heating playing games and so

someone added fan support.

Well...my intention was never to offend either you or the developer of that application. If I did, my apologies. My point was simply that it is kind of strange to have a product named 'Input Remapper' which clearly indicates what it does (which is always a good thing in the first place) but also seems to do something completely unrelated from its (original) purpose.

Again, I apologize if you felt offended.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, Sunday and I am really really tired today but had to get online for some other business...

I can tell you that I HAD to find (and tried) 2-3 other utilities to help cool or control the fans and sensors in my Mac Pro this summer running Vista x64. And this keyboard program actually works.

CPU-Z was one that may someday, but not yet.

SFBeta which is "SpeedFan" requires knowing more about the Intel chipsets and all than I do, and didn't want to mess things up (and x64 is experimental)

I kept reading about an XP utility folks use SysTool to over clock bus, memory and even CPU that I read about first on http://www.hardmac.com and was used on a Mac Pro (native, not in a VM).

http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/

The Apple BootCamp forum has lots of people posting issues and problems - and heat this summer while running games and graphic intense programs was one. video drivers is driving people crazy too.

Controlling fan speed probably isn't something that the Fusion environment has to deal with.

0 Kudos