VMware Communities
baka9moe
Contributor
Contributor

How to disable dhcp server on Fusion 12.1 pro?

The network editor do not have the feature to disable dhcp server.

I tried to edit /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/networking, but it wont work.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have the 12 Pro, but in the 11 Pro you can create a new Virtual Network and there you can disable the DHCP server.

To create a new network go into the Preferences, Network tab.

Image 17-12-2020 at 15.08.jpg

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I believe in 12 pro this has now been replaced by the apple/big sur DHCP server

0 Kudos
rossco_au
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just stumbled across this issue and I can't believe that this is the case (i.e. no option to disable DHCP on a custom network in Big Sur).  One of the big features with the Pro edition is the custom networking.  Now I can't have a VM which is acting as a DHCP server for my other VMs.   I need this feature to properly simulate and test enterprise solutions that use Windows domain controllers that are also DHCP servers.

Is there a plan to address this and add back in the ability to disable DHCP on a custom network on Big Sur.  This is a showstopper for me.

Thanks,

rossco 

0 Kudos
Brenda2
Contributor
Contributor

I need to create a local machine in a local network at the office to be used as a dev server that will communicate via API with an application on the cloud. What stack should I use to do in a smooth way?

I did this before as a test. I had a windows pro, then a Vmware player with another windows PRO and a NODE.JS app running.

jcpenneykiosk

0 Kudos
rossco_au
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the benefit of anyone who has an issue with this.  Easiest way I've found to work around it is to have an extra network adapter and then bind all the guests to that network adapter rather than a virtual network.  Means I carry around an extra adapter and lose a port on my MBPro.  

0 Kudos