VMware Communities
jasimon9
Contributor
Contributor

How to create an association with files on Mac with applications in VM?

It seems I knew how to do this before, but I cannot find my notes. Simply put, I would like to open a doc or xls file either in an email in Mail on the Mac, or on the Mac desktop in Word or Excel installed in my XP VM.

My previous VM could open all four of these cases simply by clicking on them.

When I click on the file, the system said that the "..." application could not be found. I found in my notes that I should Rebuild Launch Services to correct the wrong associations. I did that, and it no longer tries to use the no longer present application. But it does not use the Microsoft programs in the new VM either

I have the VM set to Share Folders, but not Mirror. This was the same as on the old VM.

What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Jasimon9,

Not sure to be very helpful as I do not have Fusion. But from what I read, you just need to edit your virtual machine settings, search for Sharing. There should be an "Allow your Mac to open applications in the virtual machine" checkbox to activate.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
jasimon9
Contributor
Contributor

The settings are all set. The files and folders sharing is enabled, as are the applications, as shown in the attached screen shot.

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have VMware tools installed in your VM? Can you activate Unity mode?

0 Kudos
jasimon9
Contributor
Contributor

yes, to both

when I click on a doc file on the desktop, it opens in Pages. In my old VM, it fired up Word and opened there. If VMWare was not running, it first fired up VMWare, then the VM, then opened in Word.

I am thinking that there was a simple way to associate the file type, and as I type this, I think I am remembering what it is. From the "Get Info" screen, just change the application that is supposed to open the file. Sure enough, Word in the VM was a choice, and when I set that, it certainly does fire up VMWare, the VM, and Word to open the document.

So I think the mystery is solved. This time I will document it!

0 Kudos
pdxrealtor
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the opposite problem. I can't get files to open from the VMware side on the Mac side.

I keep getting the error message "the file is not located in host folder". Do you happen to know a fix for this?

0 Kudos
jasimon9
Contributor
Contributor

I don't believe I have seen that variation of the problem.

I would start by looking at whether the Shared Folders are present on the Windows desktop, and play with that. I understand this is a pretty vague suggestion, but it might give you a starting point.

0 Kudos