VMware Communities
PsychDoc
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure "sharedFolder" manually?

How exactly does one edit the .vmx file to enable the "Shared Folder" feature in a Fedora VMware installation? Unfortunately I'm new at this, so I need to know how to designate the folder path (in each OS if necessary), the lines I should insert into the .vmx file, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a sample from one of my .vmx files. I don't know what's required or optional.

sharedFolder.maxNum = "2"

sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

sharedFolder0.guestName = "Win32tmp"

sharedFolder0.hostPath = "c:\tmp\"

sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.expiration = "never"

sharedFolder1.guestName = "LinuxTmp"

sharedFolder1.hostPath = "/tmp"

sharedFolder1.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder1.writeAccess = "TRUE"

Fixed copy/paste problem.

Message was edited by:

blackpuma

0 Kudos
jennyberglund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a particular reason you want to edit the .vmx file manually. Have you tried adding shared folders through the UI (Virtual Machine->Settings)? This might be the easier way to go.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Oh, maybe because the Shared Folders section of the VM Settings just says "This device will be editable in a future release."

0 Kudos
tirmidi
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a sample from one of my .vmx files. I don't

know what's required or optional.

sharedFolder.maxNum = "2"

sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"

etc

Can I add these to my .vmx and comment them out like a Unix script, e.g.

\# sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

\# sharedFolder0.guestName = "Win32tmp"

\# sharedFolder0.hostPath = "c:\tmp\"

\# sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

etc?

0 Kudos
DanM
Contributor
Contributor

Check out:

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx-old.html

...for a list of all (well, most in one place anyway) vmx settings available to VMware VM's.

Not all these settings are applicable to this particular codebase, but there's still lots of unexposed functionality to play with.

Running with scissors is fun!!!

D.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Can I add these to my .vmx and comment them out like a Unix script, e.g.

># sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

># sharedFolder0.guestName = "Win32tmp"

># sharedFolder0.hostPath = "c:\tmp\"

># sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

Yes you can add anything commented out to a .vmx file. You should see mine, I have a template of VNC server, scsi, ide, usb, shared folders, serial ports, and legacy options all ready to be activated by commenting and uncommenting certain lines.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah. Good point. The fact that is says "will be editable in a future release" is a misleading bug. Can you please file it?

You can safely ignore this misleading message, and proceed to click the "+" button to add a shared folder.

0 Kudos
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I also tried the + on this screen. The message is misleading and also the + and - button are all the way on the bottom left of the tree, not easy to see. I was able to add a new entry, but the Apply button was not enabled, only when I clicked somewhere else, I got a dialog for me to save my changes.

Felix

0 Kudos
fox_michael2
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed this misleading message and slight bug today when I was playing with a virtual machine I brought across from my vmware workstation 5.5.3 windows machine.

0 Kudos