VMware Communities
maestrokev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to clone WinXP image over to another Mac

I'm running WinXP virtualized under Vmware (not Boot Camp) on my iMac. I've got it setup exactly how I like it and want to move this virtual disk file to my MBP without going through the arduous process of installing XP and all apps and customizing.

I assume that if I just copied the Vmware image file from my iMac to my MBP and launch it will detect that hardware has changed and license key will no longer work.

Does anyone know if you can just buy another copy of WinXP at this point and input the new key to activate?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I read on another forum that Parallels allows you to

copy over the WinXP virtual file to another Mac to

run and it does not require a new Windows license.

Is that the same as Fusion?

It's possible[/i] to do this, but whether it's OK[/i] depends on your license. Same for Parallels.

Are you in violation of the Windows EULA if you use

the same copy of Windows on 2 different Fusion

installs but only use one at a time?

We're not lawyers, so don't expect a definite answer. My personal take would be for non-volume licenses, this seems sketchy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jgl1975
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you need the two vm to run or do you just want to move it form one mac to another ?

0 Kudos
maestrokev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I need to run both as I have certain software that runs only on XP.

My iMac is my home computer and the MacBookPro is used when I travel.

0 Kudos
jgl1975
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I suppose that your vm is not part of a Windows Domain.

Then you should :

\- copy the folder containing your vm to your MBP.

\- be sure that your original vm is off.

\- start the vm and respond "Create" when vmware ask you about the id of the vm.

\- Use a tool like NewSID from SysInternals (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/NewSid.mspx) to generate a new sid and change the vm name.

\- buy a new Windows license that match the one that you already have.

\- you'll be asked to reactivate Windows and you'll have the opportunity to enter your new serial number at this point.

Hope it helps ;-).

PS : All of this is best done just after Windows installation.

nathanp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

- start the vm and respond "Create" when vmware ask

you about the id of the vm.

VMware Fusion should be asking a question about whether you Copied or Moved the VM. In this case, you "Copied" the VM.

The message about UUID and Create, Keep.. etc has been changed (and I'm glad about that).

0 Kudos
jgl1975
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Oups, I have to say I haven't done it on Fusion yet...

My mistake.

0 Kudos
maestrokev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you mean the Virtual Machine Library would recognize that the .vmwarevm file wasn't created on that machine and prompt whether you copied or moved?

Is that when I'd need to enter the new WinXP license and have a new SID generated? I didn't want to launch the copied over VM file and have the license invalidated on my original machine.

0 Kudos
jgl1975
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you do everything as I've written, your original vm's license won't be invalidated.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is that when I'd need to enter the new WinXP license and have a new SID generated? I didn't want to

launch the copied over VM file and have the license invalidated on my original machine.

You have to distinguish between Fusion and Windows license here. Fusion will take care about its however, without changing the Windows license you would (potentially) violate the EULA by running the same license on more than one PC (or having the possibility at least).

In other words, you need to take care about your Windows license separately.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
maestrokev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read on another forum that Parallels allows you to copy over the WinXP virtual file to another Mac to run and it does not require a new Windows license. Is that the same as Fusion?

Are you in violation of the Windows EULA if you use the same copy of Windows on 2 different Fusion installs but only use one at a time?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's possible[/i] to do this, but whether it's OK[/i] depends on your license. Same for Parallels.

We're not lawyers, so don't expect a definite answer. My personal take would be for non-volume licenses, this seems sketchy.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In addition to Eric's correct answers...you actually answered the question yourself by adding the word 'different'. Even if they are running inside virtual machines with the same hardware, they still can be considered two different physical systems. Even further, nothing prevents you from (accidentally) running both at the same time.

Microsoft's operating systems are licensed on a per-computer basis thus one (virtual) PC, one license.

Ciao, Andreas