VMware Communities
aleksandrprilep
Contributor
Contributor

How to change resolution for Mac OS X on VMWare 8?

Hey,

Installed MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) on a VMWare. My host is El Capitan which is running on a MacBook Pro.

Thing is - I can’t seem to change my resolution. When I’ve unchecked the “Use full resolution for Retina display” under VMWare display settings - the icons on the desktop are way too big and the picture is blurry. When I try to manually change the resolution under “Scaled” in the display settings the only option is 1440 x 768. I tried holding down the option key and click on “detect displays” but that doesn’t help.

When I switch over to “Use full resolution for Retina display” - the scaled resolution is 2880 x 1484.

I tried playing around with the virtual machine resolution settings below the “Use full resolution for Retina display” option but it didn’t help.

How to fix this? One option I read was to run this in the terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

The other potential option I found was to download SVGA II OS X Driver and SwitchResX.

Thing is I don’t want to mess around with these options before getting a confirmation from someone more knowledgeable as I don’t want to mess up my vmware installation.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried dragging the lower right corner of the Fusion window that Sierra is running in to change the shape and/or make it larger? That works for me and when you check the resolution from within Sierra, the new size is shown.

0 Kudos
aleksandrprilep
Contributor
Contributor

It auto-resizes and the resolution number changes in the settings but it doesn't fix the problem as it looks exactly the same when set on "default for display". Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

This is not something that we can change from the UI.

The com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true is perfectly safe. (take a snapshot and try it)

I don't recommend downloading  party drivers for our virtual hardware outside of just installing VMware Tools

That being said, after installing VMware Tools, the following command can be used inside the guest to set a custom resolution:

sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-resolutionSet' <width> <height>

So for example:

sudo '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-resolutionSet' 1920 1080

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: Fusion & Workstation
0 Kudos