VMware Communities
Walter_Dow
Contributor
Contributor

How to back up a VM install with an external drive (Mac OSX)

I had been wondering if my idea would work to back up a "[b]Known to operate correctly" install[/b] of a Virtual Machine[/b] and all of the related files ....

So

I did this:

1 ... I took one of my external 60 gig external HDD USB drives and plugged it into my Macbook Pro.

2 ... I created a folder on it called "[b]VMware[/b]"

3 ... I then copied the Virtual Machine[/b] folder from my Mac Documents[/b] folder into the newly created VMware[/b] folder on the extension drive. (This will take a few minutes depending on the size of your VM.)

4 ... I went into my Macintosh HD[/b] folder and opened the Library[/b] folder, and located Application Support[/b]

5 ... I located my VMware Fusion[/b] folder and copied it into the VMware[/b] folder on my external HDD.

To test whether or not this would work in a pinch, I installed Fusion Beta 3 on my daughter's Macbook, and after it was installed I copied the above files into their proper location on her HDD. I did get some warnings about certain things would not copy, but ignored them and went right ahead and continued. When I opened Fusion on her machine, I had to go to the task bar on the top of the display with VMware listed on it, and click on File[/b] then Open[/b], and then clicked on the location I had placed the Install file in the Virtual Machine[/b] folder on her computer. It asked if I wanted to do a selection of different tasks. I chose Creat[/b] and it opened the VM just as I had installed it on the original machine. If you are using any specific installs in your Windows environment, like Blue Tooth or any of the Boot Camp drivers, then you will have to do a dedicated install of that equipment on the copied install. I did it all, and it worked perfectly.

You must procede slowly and deliberately and do each step in explicit detail to accomplish this. What I learned is that the back up copy you create is valid, and can be used to recover an install that you might somehow corrupt in your experiments.

(Added 04-10-07 at 10:5:43 EST)

[b]As you upgrade or update your VM installs and add to them, you should verify that it works correctly, then copy the same information above (Only after you know it works 100%) into the same locations on your external backup.[/b][/i]

Message was edited by: Rev Walter Dow

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that's one of the nice things about virtual machines - the "computer" is just a file you can backup or transfer like any other. Note there may be other implications for moving a VM around, such as Windows licensing (only use one copy at a time) or the MAC address changing (if you create a new UUID; this can cause some guests to lose networking).

0 Kudos
Walter_Dow
Contributor
Contributor

So far this has not been a problem because the licensing information goes with the copy, and it is in a virtual machine not really attached to an IP or a MAC Address

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm talking about from a legal perspective, not a technical one. While the guest is not tied to the host IP or MAC address, it does have it's own MAC address which can change (for example, if you generate a new UUID).

0 Kudos
Walter_Dow
Contributor
Contributor

I understand. I am the owner of a few OEM licenses for Windows XP Professional, and I use them to do work in things like this beta testing. I see what you mean about the UUID, but it has not caused a problem, and the intent was to test the validity of my backup without having to mess with my main install.

I am also doing some testing in Crossover too. Not quite as well made as Fusion, so those tests are not very productive at this time.

0 Kudos