VMware Communities
eobet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to KILL Windows XP if it refuses to shut down?

I can't find the "power off" button in Fusion, there's seemingly only gentle ways of sending shutdown requests or ctrl-alt-delete and my running XP guest currently doesn't give a **** about that, because it says that some files are still open and then refuses to continue with the shutdown process (even if I force it via command line).

So how do I force a cold reset or whatever it is called?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you hold down the option key when you choose the Virtual Machine menu, Shut Down Guest will change to Power Off. You can also customize the toolbar to put a Power Off button on it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you hold down the option key when you choose the Virtual Machine menu, Shut Down Guest will change to Power Off. You can also customize the toolbar to put a Power Off button on it.

0 Kudos
eobet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I think it worked.

0 Kudos
collegebum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My guest os (XP Pro) was stalled or something and refused to restart or shutdown. I used the 'hold option then choose power off' and that worked. But I have been unsuccessful in finding the poweroff button for the toolbar. Just an FYI and a thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But I have been unsuccessful in finding the poweroff button for the toolbar.

Ctrl-click the Toolbar and select Customize Toolbar... then drag the Shutdown button to the Toolbar then click the Done button.

0 Kudos
collegebum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is just a Shutdown button. I was looking for a Power Off button, something that acts like an actualy power button on a physical box. As it turns out the Option Click thing works on the toolbar like it works in the menu. Just put the Shutdown button on your toolbar and Option Click it to Power Off the guest OS. I'm using Fusion 1.1.1 and did not test any of the earlier versions. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
leacott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OMG could that be any less obvious? Thank goodness for the Internet and thank you for posting that. My XP has been in a "shutting down" state for 3 days and nothing I did would change that. Now it is working again.

0 Kudos
carkain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your post was a great gift to me. I have been struggling with this for hours. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have been struggling with this for hours.

Try reading the documentation!

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Shutting Down a Virtual Machine's Operating System

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Options for VMware Fusion Power Commands

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Switching Power Commands from the Default Options

0 Kudos
carkain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry Woody, guess I am not as smart as you.

0 Kudos