VMware Communities
Rossasaurus
Contributor
Contributor

How to Install Windows 10 Home Installer from USB Stick to VM in Fusion 8.5 on Mac High Sierra v10.13 ?

I have XP installed in a VM already on this MacBook Pro.

Fusion 8.5 on Mac with OS X v10.13

I bought a licensed Windows 10 Home Installer on USB Stick

How do I get from the USB stick to installing into the VM I created for it?

Do I need to convert to an .iso first? steps to do this?

thanks for any assistance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Rossasaurus
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks.

However, Fusion 8.5 runs Win XP fine in High Sierra, USB devices show-up, Networking ok, never crashes, just works, so I'm assuming(for now), that Windows 10 should run in Fusion 8.5 too, if I can get it installed from the USB stick.

Really just looking for steps/process to get from USB stick to VM as if VM will run in Fusion

thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You don't need to convert to an ISO as you should be able to initiate install from a bootable USB. However, Fusion 8.5.x seem to require some quirky steps.

Create a custom VM.

Edit the VMX configuration and add the following lines

firmware = "efi"

bios.bootDelay = "7000"

To be able to boot from USB flash drive, the firmware has to be EFI (not BIOS). The bootDelay value is in milliseconds; so you can adjust this value accordingly. This is the quirky step to give you enough time to connect the bootable USB to the VM after you choose "Power on to Firmware". Without the delay, the bootable USB will not appear in the EFI boot menu after you connect the bootable USB to the VM. The bootable USB should appear as "EFI USB" or something similar in the EFI boot menu that you can then choose to start the installation.

0 Kudos