VMware Communities
kdeemer
Contributor
Contributor

How to Consolidate Library?

I have two virtual machines in my library that are apparently dependent on each other. I think I created the second one from the first a long time ago. But once I accidently opened the original machine and had massive problems. The pointers between the machines got screwed up and I had to use a hex editor to fix them. How can I either merge these machines into one or get rid of the original one so that only one machine appears in my library?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have two virtual machines in my library that are apparently dependent on each other. I think I created the second one from the first a long time ago. But once I accidently opened the original machine and had massive problems. The pointers between the machines got screwed up and I had to use a hex editor to fix them. How can I either merge these machines into one or get rid of the original one so that only one machine appears in my library?

Unfortunately you have not provided nearly enough information to explicitly and specify answer your question with absolutely accuracy however it sounds like you may have created a second Virtual Machine and pointed to the Virtual Hard Drive of the first however with out directory listing of the Virtual Machines Folder (Bundle Package) and a copy of the .vmx configuration for for each that's just one likely scenario.

You can, if you want, just delete the .vmx configuration file for the Virtual Machine that you don't want to run and it should no longer show in the list. Note: Don't delete it without first backing it up and actually you could just move it out of the folder to a location other then where the Virtual Machine are stored.

If you want to provide the following information it will help in offering a specific answer to solve your issue...

Please provide a directory listing of the Virtual Machines Folder (Bundle Package) and a copy of the .vmx configuration for for each.

It's preferred you attach the files vs copy and paste the content so use the following information to generate directory listing that can be attached as a file.

You can get a directory listing in the detail I would prefer if you open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) then at the command prompt type cd with a space after it then drag drop the VM's Bundle into the Terminal and press Enter. This will populate the full path and change to the target directory. Now type (copy & paste) "ls -lrt > dirlist.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Now copy the dirlist.txt file to your Desktop and then attach the dirlist.txt file to a reply post.

Actually modify the dirlist.txt to reflect the working Virtual Machine vs the the other if it's obvious of at the least modify the name to differentiate the two that along with the two .vmx file and you could just create an archive file containing all four file and attache a single file.

Notes:

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP.vmwarevm" folder by Ctrl+Click (or right-click) the "Windows XP" icon and select Show Package Contents.

0 Kudos