VMware Communities
daltom
Contributor
Contributor

How long should Fusion take to install?

I am installing fusion on my mac, and it has been "preparing the Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine" for at least an hour now, and nothing seems to be happening. I have a 50GB partition. Not sure if the size of the partition corresponds to the length of time it takes to set it up. Can you please advise on how long I should wait before terminating the program and restarting the machine and installation? Everything else on the Mac is running fine (i.e., the machine is not frozen)...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
daltom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - sounds like the best solution is to change the write permissions in Fusion, using the command stated from the discussion: "chmod 777 ~/Library/Preferences". I pulled this from the following blurb in the discussion you referenced:

"It so happened that Fusion had no write permissions to ~/Library/Preferences/. Sure explains a lot. I opened Terminal & executed the following command:

chmod 777 ~/Library/Preferences

I tried double-clicking the boot camp machine again, and it asked for my password (first time), so I knew something new was happening.

Eventually, it booted! Yay! I'm on my way now, installing VMware tools, etc..."

By the way, it seems crazy that I need to know how to do this to get VMware to install properly for a boot camp partition. I'm not exactly a techie, and not sure I like having to revert to writing in code into my mac (I thought I left this DOS-like coding behind forever when I switched from windows!). VMware should know how to ask the user during the installation whether it is okay to change the write permission preferences, and then do it for you. Hopefully this will be addressed in future versions.

0 Kudos