VMware Communities
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you delete 2d copy of window XP Pro in bootcamp without damaging original XP Pro and data?

Activiated Fusion window XP pro within Bootcamp that is 25 GB size. By mistake have a second copy of Window XP also in Bootcamp that is 5 GB. Both files are .vmwarevm. Ran out of disk pace only 32 GB allowed size. Must delete 5 GB copy of Window XP without damaging original Window with application and data(25 GB). Get error message"Sorry the operation can not be completed because an unexpected error occured(error code 1407) when attempting to move to trash. HELP,

Got to get to my Guickbooks and payroll.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Copyied the Window XP Pro.vmwarevm pacage to Mac folder, ran it, deleted Bootcamp and had a heart attack because it could not find path. My error in that I said I coped not moved file but went to recent and it came back.

That error has nothing to do with having said "I copied it" vs, "I moved it" and that entry in the Virtual Machine Library that shows the error because the path no longer exists can be removed from the Virtual Machine Library. Crtl-click the entry for the one that is not working and select Delete.

I have exempted time capsal backup to Virtial Machine under Documents.

It appears to be working.

I may have copied it to wrong area in that you can not see the file under User/bill/document/virtual machine/file.

Not sure if thi is a problem.

Well if you've exempted a folder and the Virtual Macing Package is not in that folder then of course it's a problem because the Virtual Machine Package will get backed up by Time Machine so I suggest you correct the situation.

Under Time Capssule I deleted backup for Fusion App under applications because I assume the large 27 GB file is there.

If not where do I go to stop Time Capsule backing up this large file every hour.

Why on earth would you make such an assumption!? The VMware Fusion.app Bundle is separate and apart from the .vmwarevm Package and Files/Folders are backed up using the same relative paths as they reside on the Macintosh HD. The only way an actual Virtual Machine you created would be inside the VMware Fusion.app Bundle is if you wrongfully put it there. All you need to do from the Virtual Machine Library is ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine and select Show in Finder and the ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine Package and select Get Info and look at where it is located. The latter part of what I've just said is nothing more the basic file management.

Still do not undersyand why this is working without Bootcamp and be apply to run both without rebooting to move back and forth. I ques the manual I have was for version 1 and upgraded to version 2 must be diferent.

You do not need to use Boot Camp in order the install VMware Fusion and create normal file based Virtual Machines. Boot Camp is part of OS X 10.5 and later and is independent of and has nothing to do with VMware Fusion unless one wants to also run the native Windows install on the Boot Camp partition as a Raw Disk Virtual Machine. Have a look at as it might help you to understand this a bit more.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Bill are you available to talk on the phone? Will call in about 5 minutes.

Woody

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes sir I am

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

After reading this you'll see why I wanted to talk to you on the phone...

If the error message your getting when trying to delete the .vmwarevm is...

errFSNotAFolder -1407

It refers to "A parameter was expected to identify a folder, but it identified some other kind of object (e.g., a file) instead. This implies that the specified object exists, but is of the wrong type. For example, one of the parameters to FSCreateFileUnicode is an FSRef of the directory where the file will be created; if the FSRef actually refers to a file, this error is returned. Available in Mac OS X v10.0 and later."

I've never encountered this type of error before so I don't have an official answer on how to resolve it and I even Googled it a bit and didn't find anything substantive however I know what I'd do under the circumstances and it would be a bit complex so I'll present a different approach since I believe that you do not actually have Windows installed natively on the Boot Camp partition. If you do have Windows installed natively on the Boot Camp partition then you shouldn't go this route.

Now let me clarify why I do not think you do not have Windows installed natively on the Boot Camp partition…

Information you provided in the evcrypted.zip that contained the vm-*.tgz from the other post show you have a 32 GB FAT32 Volume named BOOTCAMP and this coincides with what Boot Camp Assistant does when creating the Boot Camp partition. The VMware Fusion Log Files show two normal file based Virtual Machines one named "Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" and the other named "Windows XP Professional copy.vmwarevm" and whether or not you ever actually installed Windows natively under Boot Camp I can't say or even if these normal file based Virtual Machines were created normally through the New Virtual Machine Assistant or imported from the Boot Camp partition however that doesn't really matter since these are file base Virtual Machines that just happen to be stored on a volume that what was originally created by the Boot Camp Assistant an the fully qualified pathnames of the Virtual Machine Packages are:

/Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm

/Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Windows XP Professional copy.vmwarevm

Anyway since you're having a problem deleting the /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Windows XP Professional copy.vmwarevm Virtual Machine Package here is an alternative or what would be my last resort method and I'm presenting this because it's easier to explain then the other things I'd try first.

Since your trying to delete the /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Windows XP Professional copy.vmwarevm Virtual Machine Package I'll assume that the /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm Virtual Machine Package is the good and working one so with the Virtual Machine shutdown and Fusion closed make a copy of the /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm Virtual Machine Package to the Macintosh HD (because you have more then enough space on this volume to do this) and the normal location for this is...

/Users/$/Documents/Virtual Machines/

However you can copy it to wherever you like. Once you've copied it I'd double-click the Virtual Machine Package and say "I moved it" when prompted so it keeps the same MAC Address for the Ethernet Adapter so you don't trip Windows Product Activation. (Note that by itself it should not trip it but no sense in toggling that flag.) and once you know that this copy is working then the next part involves either erasing or removing the BOOTCAMP volume as this should be a sure way of getting past the 1407 error.

Based on the numbers I don't believe that you actually also have a native install of Windows on the BOOTCAMP volume in addition to the two .vmwarevm Virtual Machine Packages that you have stored on that volume however if you do then erasing the volume is not the course of action to take and we can discuss the alternatives if need be.

In short other alternatives are opening the target Virtual Machine Package that you're trying to delete and then delete one file at a time until you find the offending object hopefully freeing up enough space to proceed with running the other Virtual Machine and then just leave the offending object alone until it's appropriate to erase/remove the BOOTCAMP volume or using Terminal and CLI based utilities to repair/remove the offending object.

Also make sure you have a full user data backup stored outside the Virtual Machine before you delete/erase/remove etc. so as to ensure under worst case scenario you could reinstall Windows and Applications and have access to your User Data.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The error message is : Sorry, the operation could not be completed

because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code - 1407)"

I do have a data packup on an external drive of my Quickbooks data.

Not worried about the rest.

"Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" is the good copy I want to keep.

"In short other alternatives are opening the target Virtual Machine

Package that you're trying to delete and then delete one file at a

time until you find the offending object "

Please clarify this statement. Do you mean open Window XP on the small

copy I want to delete and use windows to start deleting these files or

open up another folder and start deleting. If so how do I get to it?

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It looks like I can copy the "Window XP PRO.vmwarevm" to the Mac desk

top. Then if I delete bootcamp, reestablish bootcamp and copy the file

"Window XP PRO.vmwarevm" back to bootcamp will this work?

If so What are the steps to restart bootcamp without loading window

from scratch but just copy original file back?

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The error message is : Sorry, the operation could not be completed

because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code - 1407)"

Yes I read that in your other posts and since this was probably done via Finder and Finder is a File Manager I looked up the error in the File Manager Reference and considering the target object in on a FAT32 Filesystem I can see this conceptually being what the 1407 error is pointing to.

I do have a data packup on an external drive of my Quickbooks data.

That's good and there are so many user that don't make separate backups when using Virtual Machine.

"Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" is the good copy I want to keep.

"In short other alternatives are opening the target Virtual Machine

Package that you're trying to delete and then delete one file at a

time until you find the offending object "

Please clarify this statement. Do you mean open Window XP on the small

copy I want to delete and use windows to start deleting these files or

open up another folder and start deleting. If so how do I get to it?

No none of this is done from within Windows or a running Virtual Machine and is all totally under OS X and Filesystem Management and basically has not to do with Fusion per se. In other words while the files that comprise the target Virtual Machine were created by Fusion at the level the problem exist this just doesn't matter as it as a lower level and is OS X centric not Fusion centric.

The files that comprise a default file based VMware Fusion Virtual Machine are in their own directory that has an .vmwarevm extension (which is normally hidden by default) and because this extension is registered with LaunchServices by VMware Fusion to conform to a com.apple.package then this container (directory) is called a Package and hence the use of the term Virtual Machine Package so select the target Virtual Machine Package that your're attempting to delete and crtl-click is and select Show Package Contents. There you will see the various files that comprise the actual Virtual Machine, files like .vmx, .vmdk, etc. and since you're trying to free up space I'd start with the .vmdk files as they will be the largest ones with the Package. Delete all objects within the target Virtual Machine Package one at a time or a few at a time until you isolate the offending object. Hopefully you'll be able to delete enough to free up the need space to run the other Virtual Machine.

Also a note of caution in that a FAT32 Filesystem which is what the BOOTCAMP volume you currently have these normal file based Virtual Machines stored on is not a very robust filesystem compared to Apple's HFS+ as on the Macintosh HD and the error you have is probably in part due to it being a FAT32 Filesystem. Since you have more then enough space free on the Macintosh HD you might want to consider moving the working Virtual Machine to the Macintosh HD and if you're no longer using Boot Camp to run Windows natively (which you've not said you have or haven't based on other comment I've made) then remove the BOOTCAMP volume with the Boot Camp Assistant to reclaim that space back to the Macintosh HD.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It some ways it appears that you may not totally understanding all that I've been saying and do you understand the difference between a normal file based Virtual Machine and running a native Windows install from the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine? From the information included in the encrypted.zip from the other discussion thread and while admittedly incomplete to definitively say one way or the other it appears you are not running Windows natively under Boot Camp nor have to made any definitive comment on this when I have broached this several times now. From the information you've so far provided it shows that you have two normal file based Virtual Machines being stored on the BOOTCAMP volume which is normally used to install Windows natively and independent of Fusion and also is not the normal place of storing/running normal file based Virtual Machines from. Not that one can't but it's not the norm and the lack of total clarity on your part is why I have to generalize some of what I'm saying because without all the facts I can't make all statements an absolute.

If you don't understand the gist of this then provide a directory listing of the BOOTCAMP volume or a screenshot of it's contents so I have a more complete overall picture of the situation and other then that I believe I've supplied you with more then adequate information to choose a good/proper course of action and without additional definitive information I really have noting more to add at this point in time.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understand.

I have gone to the Show Package Contents and deleted all files except

the folder applications. When I go to the files under applications I

get the same error message. The Copy folder is now only 103 MB size

but is still only shows 1.3 GB free and the XP will not open and has

original message saying free up 986 MB.

The reason I had Fusion and XP under Bootcamp is because I am running

time capsule that backs up every hour and XP program are up to 25GB

and would eat up backup dusk.

Therefore when I copy out "Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" to temp

desktop, delete Bootcamp the re establish bootcamp and copy "Windows

XP Professional.vmwarevm" back into bootcamp it should work. Not sure

if I understand on re establishing with out it trying to load windows

from scratch

Bill

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you empty the Trash?

Did you ever install Windows natively on the BOOTCAMP volume?

Attach a screenshot of the BOOTCAMP volume in Finder showing a details view.

I need to know this information in order to provide additional information without wasting my time suggesting something else.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The reason I had Fusion and XP under Bootcamp is because I am running

time capsule that backs up every hour and XP program are up to 25GB

and would eat up backup dusk.

Even though you have a Time Capsule it is actually Time Machine that is doing the backup and just an FYI you can exclude the folder on the Macintosh HD that you place the Virtual Machine Package into and therefore not have to place it on the BOOTCAMP volume or even have a BOOTCAMP volume if you do not have Windows natively installed (which you still haven't confirmed whether you do or not) and then it wouldn't be constantly taking up space on the Time Capsule.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sir;

Yes, I empty the trash.

If you mean natively that I have to choice between Mac or Window on bootup and I have to log of and then log to one then the other I did not load Fusion or Window that way. My computer opens up in Mac and I click on the Fusion icon then select Window to get in to XP. Both run at the same time and just click between either window to back and forth. therefore I believe this is not native. Sorry, not sure of the term.

I do appreciate you assistance.

Bill

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Copyied the Window XP Pro.vmwarevm pacage to Mac folder, ran it, deleted Bootcamp and had a heart attack because it could not find path. My error in that I said I coped not moved file but went to recent and it came back.

I may have copied it to wrong area in that you can not see the file under User/bill/document/virtual machine/file.

Under Time Capssule I deleted backup for Fusion App under applications because I assume the large 27 GB file is there.

If not where do I go to stop Time Capsule backing up this large file every hour.

Still do not undersyand why this is working without Bootcamp and be apply to run both without rebooting to move back and forth. I ques the manual I have was for version 1 and upgraded to version 2 must be diferent.

Again appreciate all of your help.

Bill

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That error has nothing to do with having said "I copied it" vs, "I moved it" and that entry in the Virtual Machine Library that shows the error because the path no longer exists can be removed from the Virtual Machine Library. Crtl-click the entry for the one that is not working and select Delete.

Well if you've exempted a folder and the Virtual Macing Package is not in that folder then of course it's a problem because the Virtual Machine Package will get backed up by Time Machine so I suggest you correct the situation.

Why on earth would you make such an assumption!? The VMware Fusion.app Bundle is separate and apart from the .vmwarevm Package and Files/Folders are backed up using the same relative paths as they reside on the Macintosh HD. The only way an actual Virtual Machine you created would be inside the VMware Fusion.app Bundle is if you wrongfully put it there. All you need to do from the Virtual Machine Library is ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine and select Show in Finder and the ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine Package and select Get Info and look at where it is located. The latter part of what I've just said is nothing more the basic file management.

You do not need to use Boot Camp in order the install VMware Fusion and create normal file based Virtual Machines. Boot Camp is part of OS X 10.5 and later and is independent of and has nothing to do with VMware Fusion unless one wants to also run the native Windows install on the Boot Camp partition as a Raw Disk Virtual Machine. Have a look at as it might help you to understand this a bit more.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sir;

1. Got the first fixed.

2/3. Got it corrected. Around 2 am last night when I choice the folder

to copy file in I missed and copied into another folder. Therefore

when I went looking for it could not find. Found it and moved to

correct folder Virtual Machines folder.

4. I wish I had seen that document prior to loading and using. I

used what I had and the old Fusion quick start manual was

misleading,Version 1, now I have a better understanding and will

change over my wife's Apple to be the same...

Thank you very much for the assistance and patients. I knew PC very

well and managed 42 machines and LAN in emergency operation center but

Apple is new to me. I am loving it but still learning how things are

being done, simplified, in Apple.

Have a great day and again your serve is greatly appreciated.

Bill

0 Kudos