VMware Communities
ECIT-2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you consolidate VM disks (parent & child) and shrink the disk?

Hi;

I've got a vm which is taking 80gb, but the XP disk properties shows less than 30. When I peek into the VM folder, I see that I have 4 disks, none of which I can trash without loosing the vm. There's no snapshots within my manager and only 1 reference in the vmx file to one of the four disks. Theres also no option to shrink the disk as it is now. Any ideas how to consolidate these disks and shrink the wasted space?

Thanks in advance

EC

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Taking a new snapshot and deleting it should have the side effect of cleaning up the virtual disk. You will need enough space -- up to the maximum size of the virtual disk. If you run out of space, this can cause orphaned child virtual disks such as the ones you're seeing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Taking a new snapshot and deleting it should have the side effect of cleaning up the virtual disk. You will need enough space -- up to the maximum size of the virtual disk. If you run out of space, this can cause orphaned child virtual disks such as the ones you're seeing.

0 Kudos
ECIT-2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! That worked. You rock man..

(I was afraid I had the little blue girl from the "willy wonka" on my hands).

0 Kudos
DanboC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Eric,

I tried this but I still have a snapshot file that cannot be deleted and is not registered with the VM.

How can I delete it?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos