VMware Communities
D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you connect Polar heart monitor to the PC (within Fusion) using IR to USB

Hi,

I have the trial version of Fusion (v.1) and only one Vitual Machine created inside it. On this Virtual Machine I have installed XP Pro SP2.

I also have this Polar wrist heart monitor (watch) that can monitor my heart and other details related to running, cycling etc. The data can be transferred for analysis to a software installed on XP Pro on the above mentioned VM.

I have this MacBook that only has USB and Firewire ports. The watch is capable of transfering data to and from that analysis software. The connection is done through an IR-USB system that is provided with the watch. The Polar specifies that for now the only solution for Mac users is to use virtualisation software. I tried Fusion and Parallels, none of them work for this particular need. In BootCamp however, everything works just as expected.

I very much prefer the virtualisation aproach rather than having to constantly boot into and out of BootCamp partition.

Question:

Is it feasible to make IR-USB work on/with VMware Fusion and if so how?

Thank you

D.M.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you plug the device in, it is just Fusion/Windows that hangs, or is it all of OS X? If it's OS X, does it hang if you plug the device in without Fusion running? Where can the developers find more information about this specific device?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the Polar system comes with documentation on installing the driver first or connecting the device first, make a note of that.

In the Virtual Machine > USB menu do you have the Apple IR Receiver connected to the virtual machine? Install the software (usually before connecting the device), then place a check next to the Apple IR Receiver.

If you are missing the USB menu you can add it to the virtual machine by shutting down the guest OS going to Virtual Machine > Settings and click on the + sign in the lower left to add a USB removable device.

D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have downloaded and installed the latest version of the software as well as the USB drivers.

Yes, IR to USB is enabled in the Virtual Machine.

When I connect the IR USB adapter (provided with the wrist monitor) to the USB port of the MacBook (and thus XP Pro on Fusion's VM), everything hungs!. I mean, the Windows, as well as Fusion!. If and when I unplug the IR USB adaptor, everything comes to normal. It might be some incompatibility of this particular hardware (only usb 1.0) but it certainly works on BootCamp as I have already mentioned.

I will consider purchasing an IR to USB 2.0 adaptor just in case will help.

If you, or someone else, would like to contribute with more ideas or suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you so much

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you plug the device in, it is just Fusion/Windows that hangs, or is it all of OS X? If it's OS X, does it hang if you plug the device in without Fusion running? Where can the developers find more information about this specific device?

0 Kudos
D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

No, the Mac OS (10.4.10) does not hang if Fusion is off and I connect the IrDa USB adaptor.

If/when the Fusion is on and XP Pro within is on also when I connect the IrDA USB adaptor, the whole VM hangs (that is XP Pro and Fusion.) It requires Force Quit Fusion. Just to clarify: Mac OS X remains stable at all times regardless of what is connected to the MacBook or whether Fusion is on or off. Only the Virtual Machine and Fusion hangs. However, as soon as I unplug the IrDa both: XP Pro and Fusion regain working capabilities.

This is the product that I am trying to use:

Polar S625X (Running Computer & Heart Monitor) which transfers data to and from a PC using infrared communication.

Here is the link for the watch:

http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Multisport/S625X.html

Here is the link for the Polar IrDa USB 1.0 interface that came w/ the product and does not work on Fusion or Parallels but does work in BootCamp (1.4beta).

http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6AC22572D10030A326?OpenDocument

Here is the link for Polar IR USB 2.0 interface that I was thinking to purchase in hope that it may work with Fusion:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors.com/polar_ir_interface.htm

Thanks again,

D.M.

0 Kudos
bluecyber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you try meanwhile the usb 2.0 ir device from polar?

I'm trying to use the internale IR device of my MBP within the XP SP2 VM, but I'm unable to connect the watch with the ProTrainer SW Smiley Sad

Regards

0 Kudos
D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi bluecyber!

No, I did not try it yet. However, I got a second MacBook which I use in BootCamp mode for this purpose. I contacted Polar in Finland and they said that are considering updating some of their software for working on a Mac (but no ferm promise as to when or if that is going to happen).

So, it seems that I (we) are stuck for the time beeing, unless of course, VMware or the competition (Parallels) come up with a solution. Maybe Leopard will help in that respect.

If anyone out there has a viable solution to this problem, please consider posting it here. Thank you all.

D.M.

0 Kudos
bluecyber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi D.M.

I just bought today the Polar IR USB 2.0 Device. And it works!:^0:DB-) I'm able to connect the USB Device exclusive to the VMWare Fusion Windows System running Polar Pro Trainer... There was just a slight issue with the driver cd - this is just a small disc which you can't insert into the slot-in dvd of the MBP - copying to a usb key solves that easily :smileycool:

Regards

bluecyber

D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi bluecyber!

That is great news, thank you soo much for sharig it. I guess I will be purchasing one myself. Thanks again.

Regards,

D.M.

0 Kudos
airmaxi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

did you figure out how to use the internal ir yet? would like to save the $ for the usb-ir....

cheers, airmaxi

0 Kudos
D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi airmaxi!

The bad news is that the internal IR to USB (which comes with the Polar monitor and which is only USB 1.0 does not work at all in my experience).

The GOOD NEWS however, is that the stick from Polar (IR to USB 2.0) works just great. Just download the driver from Polar side, install it within windows and you are good to go. I have purchased both, Fusion and Parallels and the Polar USB 2.0 stick WORKS GREAT on both machines.

Happy heart monitoring and A GOOD, GREAT NEW YEAR to everyone!

0 Kudos
Byron1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great news guys -- I tried multiple ways to get the Polar USB running, gave up, Googled, found this forum post, and just ordered the new Polar IRda USB.

Also, the Polar USB 1.0 device does work in Boot Camp.

0 Kudos
JesperZac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have just recently changed from PC to MAC and I am very pleased with this... Except I have ONE major problem and it is the same you guys have been struggling with.

My setup is:

Polar RS800

Polar USB 2 IrDA adapter as mentioned above

Fusion ver. 1.1.1

Windows XP SP2 (fully updated)

Yet, I cannot get the watch to sync with the Polar ProTrainer software. I have tried so many times so if anyone would be able to help me resolve this, I would be very grateful.

And by the way, how come Fusion offers you the option in the lower right corner to enable the IR receiver of the Mac, when it obviously does not work? For this reason, it is my belief that the Fusion software is sold somewhat under false pretense.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might help.

Best regards,

Jesper

0 Kudos
D_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jesper!

I think it is worth enabling the IR receiver on the Mac so that Fusion will recognize the USB 2.0 IR stick. I also assume that you have updated the Polar Pro 5 software. Other than that, I am not familiar with the model RS 800, it may have something to do with some settings of it?

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will step in with more detailed advice?

All the best to you.

D.M.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have almost the same setup as you, except an RS400. The 400 comes with 400/800 instructions meaning it's not that much different. I attempted the Apple IR receiver and that does NOT work so I bought the Polar IR USB adapter. It was a little tricky getting the IR software loaded (it's one of those mini discs that don't fit in a MacBook Pro), but after I installed the USB software using another PC to copy the disc, I was able to sync the RS400. I'm using Polar Web Link 4.2.3, XP SP2. I assume you're putting the watch in sync mode. I'm holding the watch very close but not touching the IR receiver.

A working conneciton is not that interesting:

I don't have the Apple IR device connected. The Polar USB IR adapter is connected as a Sigmatel STIr 42xx device.

0 Kudos
JesperZac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

And thanks for the constructive suggestions.

Having tried everything without success, I got hold of another USB IrDa stick (same model) just to see if it was the hardware that did not work... The result was successfull, meaning that a lot of time has been wasted on drivers etc. when in fact that hardware was the faulty part... Smiley Happy

Anyway - Thanks a lot for assisting.

The now happy runner who still looks forward to being able to just use the build in IrDa.

Best Regards,

Jesper

0 Kudos
JesperZac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One thing though...

Has anyone asked VMware why their product is not working properly? I mean why is it not possible to use the build in IrDa of the Mac Book Air?

I have just tried with the new version of Fusion, and it still did not work. I even tried with a Nokia N95, which did not work either, in other words, this problem is related to Fusion and not to Polar... Smiley Sad

Have a nice weekend all of you. Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Jesper

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, try reading Pat Lee's response in this thread

0 Kudos