saltheart
Contributor
Contributor

How do you combine vmdk files into 1 file?

I made the mistake of playing with the Snapshot feature without really understanding what it was doing. After the third snapshot something happened and it told me something about the virtual drive was corrupted. From another thread I learned about diskTool which I then used with success, but then it started telling me that the parent file had changed. Long story short, I used a hex editor to correct the parentCID of one of the files and everything worked. But I now have 5 files, all the way to ...-000004.vmdk. Is it possible to combine all these back into the base file? I promise I'll never touch snapshot again. Smiley Happy

A related question is: In the future, if I want to save the state of the vm, can't I just make a copy of the base .vmdk file?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>A related question is: In the future, if I want to save the state of the vm, can't I just make a copy of the base .vmdk file?

The safest method is just to make an archive copy (StuffIt or similar) of the entire VM's folder. It's best to do this when the guest is powered off.

0 Kudos