VMware Communities
Bruce_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do you check VM Fusion hardware on VM 8?

My understanding that hardware needs to be brought up to version 12. I am running XP on my virtual machine

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In Settings>Compatibility, you'll see what hardware version is currently being used and if it's not version 12, click the Upgrade button.

BTW, when updating VMware Tools, did you get either a Windows "Found New Hardware WIzard" popping up repeatedly during the install, or have the Tools install hang altogether forcing a Power Off? For me the Hardware Wizard kept popping up in XP Pro and XP Home just locked up. It was necessary to force a Power Off and then run the Tools Repair option in Reinstall VMware Tools.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In Settings>Compatibility, you'll see what hardware version is currently being used and if it's not version 12, click the Upgrade button.

BTW, when updating VMware Tools, did you get either a Windows "Found New Hardware WIzard" popping up repeatedly during the install, or have the Tools install hang altogether forcing a Power Off? For me the Hardware Wizard kept popping up in XP Pro and XP Home just locked up. It was necessary to force a Power Off and then run the Tools Repair option in Reinstall VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
Bruce_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it and it was at 6 and I went to 12.

Still struggling with tools update - looking for the ISO file??

Thanks

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If I remember correctly, the installer packages eventually appeared as a virtual network drive; the D drive always came up empty.

But since the Tools update is often automatic, does the Virtual Machine menu say Update or Reinstall tools?

0 Kudos