VMware Communities
FrJCMax
Contributor
Contributor

How do you Install VMWare Tools on Ubuntu

I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 as a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro. It keeps prompting me to install VMWare Tools, but it will not install. I do not know what I am doing, so can someone more tech savy give me some advice? Also, I thought about installing it as an Virtual Appliance, but have no idea how that works. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

You will be in best hands with WoodyZ's

Reading official documentation also does not hurt: Fusion menubar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual machines > Installing and upgrading VMware Tools > To install or upgrade VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine from the command line with the tar installer or RPM Installer > follow instructions for tar installer. In case of problems, WoodyZ's document is to help you.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also, I thought about installing it as an Virtual Appliance, but have no idea how that works.

To use a virtual appliance, download it and run it. The point of a virtual appliance is that it should already be configured for immediate use; for example, whoever created it should have installed Tools already.

0 Kudos
FrJCMax
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response. At first I could not figure out how to search for the answer. I had typed in "Ubuntu" but nothing came up. After I posted my question, I did find the article/PDF that you referred me to, and it was extremely helpful. Thank you.

0 Kudos