VMware Communities
mr_incredible
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you Delete a Virtual Machine?

I created a Windows XP Prof VM and chose to set it up later. Well it doesn't work, so I went to delete it and found that there is no way to do that from the GUI. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I created a Windows XP Prof VM and chose to set it up later. Well it doesn't work, so I went to delete it and found that there is no way to do that from the GUI. Any ideas?

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP"

Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) the target VM Bundle Package and select Move to Trash then Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) on Trash Container Icon on the Dock and select Empty Trash

Note: If by chance you have stored your Virtual Machine in a different location you can mouse-over the target Virtual Machines name in the Virtual Machine Library window and after a few moments a pop-up should show the fully qualified path of the target Virtual Machine. The Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine will not display a path.

Note that in the picture above my Virtual Machine is not stored in the default location however the fully qualified path is displayed!

Edit: Added additional info.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
uthanda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should be able to find the virtual machine file / package using the Finder and delete it that way.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP"

Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) the target VM Bundle Package and select Move to Trash then Ctrl-Click (Right-Click) on Trash Container Icon on the Dock and select Empty Trash

Note: If by chance you have stored your Virtual Machine in a different location you can mouse-over the target Virtual Machines name in the Virtual Machine Library window and after a few moments a pop-up should show the fully qualified path of the target Virtual Machine. The Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine will not display a path.

Note that in the picture above my Virtual Machine is not stored in the default location however the fully qualified path is displayed!

Edit: Added additional info.

0 Kudos
mr_incredible
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that did the trick. Kind of weird that you have to go thru all that instead of a delete button...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks, that did the trick. Kind of weird that you have to go thru all that instead of a delete button...

There are a lot of commands the Fusion UI lacks however I'm glad there is not a delete button as that might make it to easy to accidentally delete a Virtual Machine. :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos