VMware Communities
hjscm
Contributor
Contributor

How do i install windows?

Okay i want to try this out on my mcbook pro. i have the latest vmware installed and went through setup. tried to install windows and when i insert the windows dvd it does nothing and gets kicked back out in about 2 minutes.

thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay i want to try this out on my mcbook pro. i have the latest vmware installed and went through setup. tried to install windows and when i insert the windows dvd it does nothing and gets kicked back out in about 2 minutes.

I have found that if a optical disc gets automatically ejected when unexpected that there is something wrong with the disc.

Make sure that are no visible physical defects on the bottom of the disk and that it is clean.

Try making an ISO Image of the Disc and using the Image assigned to the CD/DVD Device for the Virtual Machine.

You can use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) to create an image and when using Disk Utility in order to have a bootable ISO Image you should select CD/DVD Master with no encryption in which case by default it will have a .cdr file extension and in version 1.1 of Fusion and later does not need to be changed to .iso although one can if one chooses to. A default .dmg image is compressed and is not bootable although an uncompressed .dmg will boot if changed to .iso and of course the source CD/DVD must be bootable in the first place.

hjscm
Contributor
Contributor

the disk looks fine. i just bought it form best buy. i read your post a couple of pages down when i was searching before i posted this and saw the same answer you said about disk utility. but i can't figure out how to make the image of the cd? i can make an image but it is blank what do i do with it

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

the disk looks fine. i just bought it form best buy. i read your post a couple of pages down when i was searching before i posted this and saw the same answer you said about disk utility. but i can't figure out how to make the image of the cd? i can make an image but it is blank what do i do with it

Despite the fact that you just purchased it from Best Buy and there may be no visible physical defects and or the disc is clean does not mean that the disc doesn't have a bad spot that can't be read. The purpose of making (or attempting to make) an ISO Image is to determine if the Disc can be read sector for sector and a bit by bit copy can be made. If it is successful then installing from an ISO is not only faster it is IMO easier overall if dealing with multiple installs.

To create an ISO Image using Disk Utility...

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive.

2. Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).

3. Select the CD or DVD disc in the list of disks and volumes.

4. Choose File > New > "Disk Image from (Name of Disc)."

5. Type a name for the disk image.

6. Choose "DVD/CD master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

7. Choose "none" from the Encryption pop-up menu.

8. Click Save.

0 Kudos
hjscm
Contributor
Contributor

well i am guesing that is my problem. i can't see the disc when inserted. the drive doesn't reckonize the disc and spits it out. i am going to return the dvd and get another one to see if that helps.

thanks for the help i will post back later today with my progress.

thanks again

0 Kudos
hjscm
Contributor
Contributor

okay thanks for the help. i guess it was a bad disk. retuened it and got a new one and everything seems to be working fine now.

thanks

0 Kudos