VMware Communities
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

How do I use the Fusion Importer App to create a expanding disk from a Parallels VM instead of a fixed virtual disk size?

Hi,

My Parallels VM's disk size takes up 5+ GB on my Mac's drive but reads 22+GB when it's Virtual disk space is seem in the Win XP application when it is running.

I used Fusion's importer app to migrate the Parallels VM into Fusion but now the Fusion VM of the same XP setup is taking up 22+ GB of actual disk space on my Mac's drive.

Is there any way to run the import / conversion utility so that like the Parallels VM the Fusion VM takes up a much smaller amount of disk space and the VM actual disk usage expands as necessary??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since you have already converted from Parallels to Fusion a faster easier way to accomplish what your trying to do would be to use the following...

vdiskmanager GUI by etung

http://communities.vmware.com/message/674493#674493

It's a GUI Wrapper for: "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vdiskmanager"

Works nice too! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As Woody said, Eric's VDiskManager GUI can help.

Just so you know, the default setting for a Parallels VM import in VMware Importer is to import a split, sparse disk which in English is a growing disk. Unless you changed the default settings when you imported, you should have a growing disk by default.

Pat

0 Kudos
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Pat,

I started importer up again last night and there were 2 choices... either fixed size and another. Should I leave both unchecked if I want a Virtual disk that is small but expands when needed?

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The default settings are for an expanding disk (starts small), that is split into 2 GB chunks. So, leave the default settings which are first option unchecked and second option checked.

Pat

0 Kudos
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Pat,

Is there any disadvantage to the 2GB chunk VM default option?

Thanks,

Rich

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is there any disadvantage to the 2GB chunk VM default option?

For most users, absolutely not and it is the most compatible, which is why we chose it.

Pat

0 Kudos