VMware Communities
Phil41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I unsuspend a VM that requires more physical memory that I have?

A colleague send me a Linux VM that he built on a machine with a lot more physical memory than the 4 GB I have in my Macbook Air.  When I started the VM in Fusion, it said that the VM required more physical memory than I had available and suggested that it would reduce the memory for the VM to about 3 GB.  I said OK and the machine started.  I did a bunch of work in that VM.  I suspended the VM because I needed to recover some of the memory it was using for another application. 

When I try to start the VM now, it says that it requires 4 GB of memory and that I should stop some applications or reboot to free the required memory.  I have tried both with no success. 

Why wasn't the 3GB setting saved when I suspended the VM?

Since I can't change the memory requirement for the VM until it is properly shut down and since I can't shut down the VM without unsuspending it, I suspect the VM is toast.

Is there any way to recover the VM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With VMware Fusion closed, you can delete the <Virtual_Machine_Name>.vmss file to reset the Virtual Machine to an off state.  Note that anything not saved when it was suspended will be lost.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With VMware Fusion closed, you can delete the <Virtual_Machine_Name>.vmss file to reset the Virtual Machine to an off state.  Note that anything not saved when it was suspended will be lost.

0 Kudos
Phil41
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleting the .vmss file allowed me to start the VM again.  Thanks!  I'll shut it down and adjust the memory so I don't run into this problem again.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There are a bunch of issues that can be caused by moving suspended VM's.  In the future he should shut down the VM before sending it to you.

0 Kudos