VMware Communities
gajacobsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I re-establish XP Pro IE & connection via Airport and TCP/IP?

I have quick and solid Safari & Firefox connection on the Mac side using a LinkSys router and Comcast cable modem. There is also an Airport Express device connecting a 2nd printer via USB cable. Initially, VMware recognized the wireless connection without any further effort on my part.

Sometime after installing Fusion 1.0, I have lost internet connection with IE 7 and Windows Safari. The VMware Network settings under Virtual Machine shows I have a connection. The network icon in the lower right corner of XP Pro says "Limited or no connectivity." Have tried double clicking this icon and choosing to let it repair itself (hah!), which it doesn't.

I only have limited XP Pro experience, so I am having problems figuring this out. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you running in NAT mode or Bridged mode? Are both wireless routers connected to the same LAN? Do you have a wired connection on the Host machine as well?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It sounds like you are not receiving a link or IP address in the Guest.

What networking mode are you running? Have you tried powering down the VM and powering it back up?

0 Kudos
gajacobsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just noticed Pat Lee's networking question list, so will answer it now:

1) What Mac do you have? 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz w/Intel Santa Rosa chip, 4GB SDRAM.

2) What version of Mac OS X are you running? 10.4.10

3) Are you running B, G, N or a combination of wireless networking technologies? LinkSys router is G; not sure what the Airport Express is, but it may be a G, as I have had it about two years.

4) What base station are you connected to? LinkSys Broadband router, Model WRT54G. It is located within eight feet of the MacBook Pro. The Airport Express is in the next room, less than 25 ft away, and only one wall (sheetrock & studs) between.

5) Have you applied the latest Airport Update from 7/30 and does it help? Have all Apple update software installed.

6) If you are using N networking, if you drop back to G or B networking, does the problem occur? Not using N networking, except it is my understanding the MacBook Pro uses N networking, which I believe is compatible with G.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you running in NAT mode or Bridged mode? Are both wireless routers connected to the same LAN? Do you have a wired connection on the Host machine as well?

0 Kudos
gajacobsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had tried powering down the modem and router, which had no effect. Did not try restarting XP Pro. Just did that, and boy, do I have egg on my face -- making it twice in one evening. Boy, this has not been my day.

Problem solved. Thanks for being so tolerant of my ineptness (that word sounds a little better than "stupid.")

0 Kudos
jrwyatt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem and restarting XP pro DID NOT WORK. I have exactly the same computer. Using NAT, tried using others without success.

0 Kudos