VMware Communities
richtera
Contributor
Contributor

How do I prevent VMNet from registering each network in DNS

Currently my Mac will register itself under each VMNet address and it's main address into the DNS. Most of the time the VMNet NAT address is being returned when someone needs to refer to my machine. Therefore all file sharing, web traffic and so on has to pass through the virtual VM network before getting forwarded to my machine. This makes everything very slow.

If I don't use NAT mode then I guess I could turn of the VMNet altogether, but sometimes I would like to have it available but not registered with DNS. How do I prevent the DNS registration?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have File Sharing turned on, and is SMB file sharing enabled?

If so, I'm wondering if this applies (even though you're running Mac OS X client): Mac OS X 10.5 Server: Preventing DDNS registration for multiple interfaces

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to Technogeezer's questions, can you elaborate on how you came to the conclusion that "Currently my Mac will register itself under each VMNet address and it's main address into the DNS. Most of the time the VMNet NAT address is being returned when someone needs to refer to my machine" (e.g. what evidence or tools led you to believe this)?

0 Kudos
richterabsi
Contributor
Contributor

To answer Technogeezer's question:

I have also found this site and have added that configuration to my SMB.CONF. It seems to fix the issue as far as I can tell. It's curious that SMB is the the one registering the computer in DNS and not some kind of DDNS update daemon. I will post another message if this completely resolves the issue or just for a Windows Active Directory Server.

Does anyone have a way to check whether the computer registers all it's IP interfaces under Bonjour? In theory those interfaces work correctly but are a lot slower.

Also I am not sure if routine update records (i.e. RIP) are correctly set so that other routers know how to forward packets there.

To answer etung's question:

The tool I used to determine the IPs of my machine is plain "ifconfig"

The tool I used to determine I was registered multiple times was "dig machinename" (where machine name is my machine.windowsdomain (like joe-machine.domain.corp))

This returned machine plus a list of the addresses also returned by ifconfig.

I edited the locations file in VMware to change my NAT and local IPs and rechecked and indeed the DNS registrations have the new address.

0 Kudos
richterabsi
Contributor
Contributor

The smb.conf change alone does not seem to remedy the problem. I am not sure what's reinitiating but after a while the registration of the other IP numbers suddenly appears in DNS. I can't tell what daemon or subsystem is making the registration request or how to stop it.

In fact connecting with VPN and disconnecting sometimes leaves the old ppp IP address in DNS in addition to the virtual VMnet adapters.

I am stumped.

0 Kudos
richterabsi
Contributor
Contributor

Found some more info but no answers. Anybody know what exactly this means and how it's configured:

"Beginning with Mac OS X 10.5, the Mac OS X client will attempt to dynamically update DNS records hosted by Active Directory."

This is a statement within the following document:

http://images.apple.com/business/solutions/it/docs/Best_Practices_Active_Directory.pdf

I think this is where the problem originates from.

0 Kudos