VMware Communities
jschaff111
Contributor
Contributor

How do I power down?

My VMware Fusion 2.0.1 virtual machine WinXP did an update and is stuck in "windows is shutting down". I can not find where to "flip the power switch off" to hard reset the virtual machine and get it to restart. I found this option in the Workstation but not in the Fusion .

Help!!! I have tried everything that I can find. I do not want to have to uninstall and reinstall WinXP.

jschaffer@usa.net

0 Kudos
6 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

With your virtual machine running, go to Fusion menubar > Virtual machine > press and hold your Alt (option) key and select "Power Off" in the menu.

Uncle_Art
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's on the Virtual Machine Menu in fusion... but it's kinda hidden.

With the virtual machine menu displayed, hold down the Option key...

"Shut Down Guest" will CHANGE to "Power Off" .... select that, and it's the equivalent of a "Yank the Plug" on the Virtual Machine.

-art

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Help!!! I have tried everything that I can find. I do not want to have to uninstall and reinstall WinXP.

Try reading the documentation! Smiley Wink

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines >

Resetting a Virtual Machine

Options for VMware Fusion Power Commands

Switching Power Commands from the Default Options

0 Kudos
jschaff111
Contributor
Contributor

After searching the Vmware website and the online help from the program menus to look for a solution to this situation, I was unable to find one.

To the first two that responded to my problem, I thank you for your help. It worked like a charm. And I was able to recover well.

To the third response, YOU CAN KISS MY ASS for being such a jack ass. Better that you not respond at all than be such an IMBECILE with your ridiculous attitude. Next time just shut your trap and let others be of help on this forum.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

To the third response, YOU CAN KISS MY ASS for being such a jack ass. Better that you not respond at all than be such an IMBECILE with your ridiculous attitude. Next time just shut your trap and let others be of help on this forum.

Seriously, I think you should calm down. I just wrote the information as I remembered, not having to look anywhere. WoodyZ made more effort to help you than I did - he had to launch the help and find the information there and then write you where exactly in the Help to look. If you looked where he pointed you to, you would find the answer as well - instead of giving you the fish, he taught you how to catch it yourself in the future. And it would teach you that the Help is useful and contains useful information, something I myself already found handy. So I am not sure who is ridiculous here ...

0 Kudos
timothyhunter
Contributor
Contributor

To the third response, YOU CAN KISS MY ASS for being such a jack ass.

Interesting response to somebody who was trying to be helpful. I assume you're not planning on asking another question on this forum. Web help forums are very efficient at applying instant karma.

0 Kudos