VMware Communities
TasmanRay
Contributor
Contributor

How do I improve display on 5K Retina iMac running Windows 10

I am running Fusion 8 on my 27-inch 5K Retina iMac with 32GB RAM, i7 and 4GB Radeon Graphics.

When I boot Fusion, the display is stunning which you would expect on the 5K Retina display.  However, whenever I start Adobe Acrobat Pro 10, the entire VM display window immediately reverts to a very small window with 640K graphics.  I can stretch the window back to the correct size and the display rights itself and continues to perform correctly so long as I keep Acrobat open on the desktop or if I open it before I launch an application or Window that will call Acrobat.  However, if I close down Acrobat and relaunch it, the same small windows reduced resolution scenario happens.  This is a pain that I would like to fix.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kgapp
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same identical issue on my 27" 5k Retina iMac when using Fusion 8.1 and Windows 10.  Loading a PDF with Acrobat X consistently forces the VM to automatically adjust the screen resolution down to 1024 X 768.  Other random actions also seem cause the screen resolution to often change and then change back on its own.

Beyond this I also regularly see display anomalies such as portions of the desktop or UI elements turning black until you force a redraw by moving the window, making a selection, etc.

The display issues are pretty severe and it is enough of an annoyance that the VM is basically unusable on this Retina iMac when running Windows 10.  There does not seem to be any such issues with a Windows 8.1 VM on the same machine except for the fact that it has terrible support for the Retina display.

Is anyone running Windows 10 reliably on a 5k Retina iMac under Fusion 8?  If so please post here so I know that my issue is not a specific hardware incompatibility and I should continue to troubleshoot it.

0 Kudos
mini2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi TasmanRay,

Could you please provide more detail info, such as a screen recording or screenshot about your issue?

0 Kudos