VMware Communities
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor

How do I import bootcamp partition into Fusion...

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I would like to remove my bootcamp partition and import the whole thing as a virtual machine in Fusion thereby giving the free disk space that is in my bootcamp partition back to OSX. Is this possible? If so, I would appreciate any advice on how to do this. By the way, bootcamp is partitioned as NTFS and there is about 20GB of free space available. I am using OSX 10.5.2 and Fusion 1.1.1.

Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I would like to remove my bootcamp partition and import the whole thing as a virtual machine in Fusion

You could use VMware Converter to craete a normal Virtual Machine of the Boot Camp partition.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

0 Kudos
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I just checked the FAQs, but Coverter does not list Fusion as one of the compatible products with the converted virtual machines.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks, I just checked the FAQs, but Coverter does not list Fusion as one of the compatible products with the converted virtual machines.

The documentation is not up-to-date! It does work with Fusion otherwise I would not have suggested it!

0 Kudos
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I see. I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

0 Kudos
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am fast approaching the desire to do this also. Some time ago, I converted from my physical BC and had no problems. I will be throwing that VM away and redoing. Do I have to do this from BC or can I do it from my BC VM?

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Do I have to do this from BC or can I do it from my BC VM?

You need to run VMware Converter from within the native Boot Camp partition boot.

0 Kudos
todivefor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Woody,

Thanks that's what I did the first time.

Macbook Air M1, Ventura 13.5, Fusion Player 2023 TP
0 Kudos