VMware Communities
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get windows 8? Yeah, stupid question, I know...

Been using VM Fusion to run Win 7 for a few years now (XP before that), and I want to try Win 8.

So, on the Microsoft site, it says:

Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only. Currently running Windows Vista or XP? First upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Upon installation you can update to 8.1 for free.

But I don't want to upgrade Win 7. I want a separate Win 8 VM.

I have searched all over the place, but for some reason, I'm not finding the answer.

Do I just buy Win 8.1 for $199 and use my Win 7 product key? (Even though I'm not upgrading?)

And is it disk only? I know there are ISO's out there, but are they only for MSDN subscribers? (I have an rMBP with no disk drive... I can attach a SuperDrive, but I'd rather download the OS than wait for MS to mail me a DVD!)

Is there an FAQ that answers this? Not finding that, either!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

No offense intended, this is not Microsoft Store Support and maybe you should use the Microsoft Store Answer Desk to resolve you Microsoft product purchase questions! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

No offense taken, but I'm not asking VMWare directly how to download windows... I'm asking a community of VMWare Fusion users how they chose to do it.

Also just seems VMWare would have a primer or best-practices step-by-step on it so I could avoid asking this stupid question on their forums and waste precious space.

(I'll ask over at the Windows forum, too, so thanks for that suggestion.)

No worries.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I didn't say, or infer, you where asking VMware directly how to download Windows and how others handle it is somewhat irrelevant since you want to have a separate Virtual Machine for Windows 8 and keep your Windows 7 Virtual Machine then technically you need to purchase a version of Windows that is in essence for a PC without an OS already installed. This is typically referred to as a Full Version not and Upgrade Version.  Therefore you need to go to Microsoft, ascertain what's available, in what format and purchase accordingly to what suites your needs/wants/desires and not anyone else's! Smiley Wink

deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, planning on buying the full version... but my question has to do with that verbiage on the MS Win site, about 8.1 being for Win 7 users only.

I know it sounds like one of those "What would you get" threads, but it's not!

Just trying to find out what others are doing to get the ISO for a fresh full install of 8.1 to use in a VMWare Fusion VM. I'd think others would be doing the very same thing (keep an existing VM while creating a new one in the new version), so I don't think it's that irrelevant!

Part of it, too, is that Win 7 is such a solid OS, and many people have said what a crazy change Win 8 is... I don't want to just dump 7 for 8. I would think lots of people would want to try out 8 without that commitment.

I'll figure it out.

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have Windows 7 and 8.1 VMs. What I did was simply duplicate my Windows 7 VM, then update it to Windows 8, then 8.1.

(Strange, clicking Reply in Safari had no effect, but works in Firefox.)

deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant!

I'll give that a shot.

0 Kudos
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

Was just looking into the "Duplicate Win 7 VM and upgrade to Win 8" idea, and my only problem is this: My win 7 VM is 100+GB. (Running SQL Server, Visual Studio, Office, etc., etc...)

So, I'd rather not dupe that big of a VM for just testing Win 8.

Anyway, taking WoodyZ's advice, I posted the question over at the Windows forums. Holy moly, what a crazy, convoluted setup that is. No idea if I posted it in the right place.

There's a Microsoft store near me, actually... in the same mall and right across the hall from the Apple store. I'll head over there and see what I can find out. They always look so lonely over there.

0 Kudos
karthikg2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can also try to create an ISO image by following the steps mentioned in Microsoft article - Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Windows Help

Once you have the ISO image, you can create a new virtual machine using the same.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

but my question has to do with that verbiage on the MS Win site, about 8.1 being for Win 7 users only.

Which is exactly why you should be contacting Microsoft to get clarification on this and is why there is a Microsoft Store Answer Desk to help resolve your Microsoft product purchase questions!

I'd think others would be doing the very same thing (keep an existing VM while creating a new one in the new version), so I don't think it's that irrelevant!

It is irrelevant because whether or not you choose to upgrade or clean build you're not entitled to keep the previous version as a Virtual Machine unless you purchase a Full package and are only entitled to one instance, physical or virtual unless you purchase additional licenses!  Therefore when purchasing the Full package you can install it on one machine, physical or virtual but not both and that goes for bit-ness too.  Meaning if you purchase a package that contains both 32-bit and 64-bit media you're entitled to install one or the other, not both! Smiley Wink

So the bottom line is, acquire the media that is appropriate for your needs/wants/desires and not anyone else's! Smiley Wink

Part of it, too, is that Win 7 is such a solid OS, and many people have said what a crazy change Win 8 is... I don't want to just dump 7 for 8. I would think lots of people would want to try out 8 without that commitment.

Again what others do is irrelevant since keeping a copy of a running previous version when using Upgrade Media violates the EULA without purchasing additional licenses of the proper type.  If you want to test drive Windows 8 before purchasing then download the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation and use it first.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

billearl wrote: I have Windows 7 and 8.1 VMs. What I did was simply duplicate my Windows 7 VM, then update it to Windows 8, then 8.1.

Keeping a copy of a Virtual Machine containing the previous Windows 7 OS when upgraded using Upgrade Media is not allowed as the EULA allows for only one instance, physical of virtual.  Obviously one can chooses to do as they wish however any answer that violates the products EULA is not a correct answer, nor should any answer that violates the EULA be posted to begin with as doing so violates the VMware Community Terms of use.

0 Kudos
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

I'm guessing you're trying to help, WoodyZ, but you're making some assumptions, like that I'm trying to avoid paying for something or that I want to test drive before paying, and that I'm somehow unable to make my own choices and have to get opinions first, like it's a pair of shoes or an iPhone vs. Android. (Oh, yeah, vs Windows phone.)

I'm happy to buy it first. I want to test drive not before buying, but before committing to moving all my stuff.

But really, my main question was about MS's misleading sentence: "Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only."

Just was curious about best practices regarding using it on a new VMWare Fusion VM, and getting the iso vs having to order a disk and have it shipped to me.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

deZinnia wrote:

But really, my main question was about MS's misleading sentence: "Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only."

The *UPGRADE* version of Windows 8.1 Pro is for Windows 7 users only.  You cannot UPGRADE from XP or Vista.  If you have XP or Vista, you must blow them away and do a fresh install.

0 Kudos
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

Yah, I understand that. But I don't want to UPGRADE. I want the full version of 8.1 Pro to stand alone, and not REPLACE anything.

I figured it out, and found an iso out there. Bought the license so I have the key, but I didn't get the iso from MS.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am not trying to make any assumptions as was only trying to help!  I stand firm by what I originally said and that was "No offense intended, this is not Microsoft Store Support and maybe you should use the Microsoft Store Answer Desk to resolve you Microsoft product purchase questions! Smiley Wink".

Did you use the link originally provided and open a chat window and discuss it with someone from Microsoft?

0 Kudos
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't open a chat, but I posted on the Win forums...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/vmware-fusion-want-to-bu...

Anyway, like I said, I did find an ISO, and I bought a key from MS.

I just totally thought the VMWare fusion forum was the place to ask how folks were getting an OS to use on a fresh VMWare Fusion VM.

No biggie.

Sorted it out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ wrote:

billearl wrote: I have Windows 7 and 8.1 VMs. What I did was simply duplicate my Windows 7 VM, then update it to Windows 8, then 8.1.

Keeping a copy of a Virtual Machine containing the previous Windows 7 OS when upgraded using Upgrade Media is not allowed as the EULA allows for only one instance, physical of virtual.  Obviously one can chooses to do as they wish however any answer that violates the products EULA is not a correct answer, nor should any answer that violates the EULA be posted to begin with as doing so violates the VMware Community Terms of use.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I use Windows 7, but like the idea of testing the newest version before eventually switching.

0 Kudos