VMware Communities
patjdixon
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get product key for Win10 ISO file install on VMWare Fusion?

I downloaded a Win10 ISO file from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO to my MacBook Pro. When I try to create a new VM, I am asked for a Windows product key. Where do I get it? Do I just buy a product key from Microsoft and it will work with the ISO file I downloaded?

VM_Win10_Fusion_2021-04-14 at 10.08.49 AM.jpgVM_Win10_iso_2021-04-14 at 10.06.34 AM.jpgVM_Win10_Mac_2021-04-14 at 10.08.33 AM.jpgVM_Win10_prodkey_2021-04-14 at 10.06.20 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware only provides the platform for operating systems, i.e. the virtual hardware.
Licensing the software that you are going to use has to be done as usual, i.e. from the respective software vendor.

André

PS: Moderator note: Moved to VMware Fusion Discussions

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The same way as you would get a product key for installing on a physical system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jberg10
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!  With Microsoft giving away the ISO for free, a product key is not needed to run Microsoft 10.  Just don't enter one in that section of the installation.

There are a couple of things that you can't do in Microsoft 10 with the free version apparently, but I haven't run into any issues.  From what I hear, they are just cosmetic.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But doing so might be illegal depending on the usage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure if it is illegal as it looks like MS has foreseen this scenario?

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

I'm not able to find anything about this on Microsoft's website though... (not that I searched for long)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I found that my Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack keys will activate Windows 10 Home.  If you have one of those lying around from a decade ago then you have a product key for Windows 10 Home.

0 Kudos