VMware Communities
clubjuggler
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get my Garmin USB GPS receiver working with windows 2000?

Greetings! Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.

I just downloaded the public beta of VMWare Fusion a couple of days ago and was very interested in trying to get it working with my Garmin USB GPS receiver (GPSMap 60C). I'm using Windows 2000 and when I plug the GPS receiver in, Fusion correctly recognizes it and labels it as a Garmin USB device. In addition, running USBView in the Windows 2000 guest shows it listed correctly. However, the Garmin Mapsource program cannot find it and use it at all.

I searched the forums for any other accounts of how to get this working, but all I found was an off-hand mention of thanks for making that work, so it sounds like it should work and I'm probably just not doing things correctly. So, any help at all would be very much appreciated!

And, finally, thanks for a great product! Even as a beta, I can tell I already like it quite a bit. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mglamb
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a Garmin Quest (USB) and Windows 2000 and got it to work by using the following:

1) Connect the GPS and power it up. A device icon (Garmin USB Device) icon should appear in the Fusion toolbar with a green status indicator.

2) Click on the Garmin USB Device icon to disconnect - but leave the GPS physically connected and powered up.

3) Click on the Garmin USB Device icon again to reconnect and wait for the green status indicator.

4) MapSource should now be able to talk to the device.

I use xImage (available ffrom the Garmin downloads page) for GPS screen caps and it is a quick way to test connectivity. Also, when I first installed the device, there was a device called Generic USB Hub that was not starting. I reinstalled the driver using the Windows Update option and that fixed it. The Garmin would not work until this problem was resolved.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
clubjuggler
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! Doing that (pluging it in, disconnecting it on the Fusion menu bar, then reconnecting it on the menu bar without turning it off) made it start working! Mapsource correctly managed to find and read from the GPS receiver. In addition, Mapsource turned it off when it was done and when turning it back on, while still connected, it worked without any additional problems.

This is just fabulous! This was the only reason I had a Boot Camp partition at all (to be able to copy maps to my GPS receiver). VMWare rocks! Can't wait until it gets out of beta!

0 Kudos