VMware Communities
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I force quit a misbehaving application in a MacOS Mountain Lion VM?

Using Fusion 5.0.3.

I have a VM running OSX Mountain Lion.  There is a hung application in the guest.  Since I want to collect the log information I want to be able to do a "force quit" on the actual application.

Trying to do the key command "cmd+option+esc" doesn't allow the pop-up window for the force quit in the VM.

How do I force quit a misbehaving application running inside a Mac OSX 10.8 VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you click-and-hold (or right-click) on the misbehaving application's Dock icon inside the guest, a menu should pop up.  Press the Option key, and the bottom menu choice should change from Quit to Force Quit.  Does that allow for the same outcome you are looking for?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks dariusd.

I gave that a try but it looks like the full UI is stuck.

I could force quit the VM but then I'll lose the log data that I really want to see.

I was hoping I could "cmd+option+esc" inside the VM.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmmmm... it sounds more like the whole virtual machine is freezing.  Do you have at least two processor cores allocated to the virtual machine?  Look in Fusion's menus under Virtual Machine > Settings, Processors & Memory.  Mountain Lion is known to sometimes hang when it has only one processor core.

Cmd+Option+Esc works just fine to bring up the Force Quit dialog in a Mavericks VM I have here (and I'd expect Mountain Lion to act the same), adding further credence to the theory that your whole VM is hanging, not just the application.

--

Darius

dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running 1 cpu for the VM since I only have 2 (Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz).

I would have thought it would cause problems with the mac if I have both cpus running for the vm????

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Performance may suffer somewhat when you make both host processor cores available to the virtual machine (with no free core for the host OS to simultaneously run on), however since Mountain Lion is known to randomly hang when only one processor core is available, I'd choose the slight performance hit of two cores versus the virtual machine hang with one core.

I quite frequently run OS X VMs with two processor cores on my two-core MacBook Pro without any trouble.  I recommend trying it and seeing if it meets your needs.

Cheers,

--

Darius

dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

0 Kudos