VMware Communities
mdeschat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I fix:Could not connect Ethernet0 to virtual network "/dev/vmnet8"?

Hello friends,

I'm in a huge bind.  I use VMWare for business.  I innocently downloaded the update.  This update has however made my network unavailable.  My internet access work perfectly well on MacOsX but I cannot use it on VMWare.  Here is my message:

VMWare says:

Could not connect Ethernet0 to virtual network "/dev/vmnet8"

More information can be found in the vmware.log file.
Failed to connect virtual device Ethernet0.

XP Says:

Limited or no connectivity:  You might not be able to access the internet or some network resource.  This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

I have tried the repair function which says:

Windows is taking the following action: renewing your IP address.

Results:  Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following  action cannot be completd:  Renewing your IP address.  Contact person  who manages your network.

I have changed nothing to my setting besides dowloading the update.  This has been the only change

Please please help.  This has put my business transactions to a halt.  I greatly appreciate any help I can get!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Shutdown, not suspend, the Virtual Machine and then reboot the Mac and then run the Virtual Machine again.

Does the Virtual Machine have Network Connectivity now?

If not I'd uninstall VMware Fusion 3.1.3 and reinstall VMware Fusion 3.1.2 as there have been quite a few reports of lost network connectivity with VMware Fusion 3.1.3 that where not able to be resolved and reverting to the previous version enabled the users to keep working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Moved to fusion forum.

Hello mdeschat and welcome to forums

Which version of vmware are you using? are you using NAT or Bridge?

---
Diego Quintana

LinkedIn Twitter WordPress

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos
mdeschat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare fusion: Version 3.1.3

It was on NAT.

Although I tried changing it to bridge with no such luck. 

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try two things, first, put static ips/subnet/gw/dns in your vms, and try to access inet.

Second try to ping the vms with the mac host. this works?

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos
mdeschat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Diego for your help.

Unfortunately it is over my head. I tried searching "where to find VMS on windows XP prof." with no success. I would greatly appreciate it if you could break it down in to steps I can recognize or point me to a source that does this. I also don't know what ping-ing means.

Thanks,

Melanie

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Shutdown, not suspend, the Virtual Machine and then reboot the Mac and then run the Virtual Machine again.

Does the Virtual Machine have Network Connectivity now?

If not I'd uninstall VMware Fusion 3.1.3 and reinstall VMware Fusion 3.1.2 as there have been quite a few reports of lost network connectivity with VMware Fusion 3.1.3 that where not able to be resolved and reverting to the previous version enabled the users to keep working.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What WoodyZ said: shutdown the virtual machine, restart your Mac, and then try powering on your virtual machine again. If that doesn't help, shut down the virtual machine, reinstall Fusion,  restart your Mac, and then power on the virtual machine.

For even more suggestions, please have a look at our Knowledge Base article, here, which addresses this issue: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016466

0 Kudos
mdeschat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much to everybody who responded!  I had prior to this comment rebooted VMfusion numerous times ... I hadn't rebooted the mac however!  

After rebooting both all was ok!  So simple!  Thank you.  This saved me big time in my business as my accounting runs on VMfusion!

0 Kudos
ezevmwaresp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Eu tenho o mesmo problema, mas eu uso o sistema operacional Linux. A versão do player da estação de trabalho vmware é a mais recente e não configura o adaptador de rede. Até agora não consegui resolvê-lo.

0 Kudos