VMware Communities
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I convert/ import a Hyper-V .vhdx virtual machine?

I have a virtual machine that has been created by Hyper-V (not by me) and the extension is .vhdx. I have searched for solutions to import this virtual machine into Fusion, but all the solutions require that I have a Hyper-V environment to do the .vhdx to .vhd conversion.

I tried Starwind V2V Converter but it doesn't support .vhdx.

Does anyone know of a solution to go from vhdx to vmdk without requiring Hyper-V?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't tried this, and I have my doubts, but it looks like the latest version of Virtual Box can open .vhdx files.

This also looks interesting - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848454.aspx

but you would still need to run it through Starwind V2V Converter after conversion.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I saw the technet article earlier, but if I'm not mistaken I need to setup a windows 8 or windows server 2012 OS and hyper-v to use the commandlet. If that's the only way I'll have to do it Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Mount the .vhdx file under a Windows 8 VM and then use an imaging tool to create an image you can restore to a .vmdk file or image it directly to a mounted .vmdk.  You do not need to have Hyper-V running just to mount the .vhdx file in Windows 8.  BTW I did this in a Windows 8 Enterprise VM that I created from the Windows 8 Enterprise Trial downloaded from Microsoft.

tbowman01
Contributor
Contributor

Have you considered using VMware vCenter Converter Stand Alone edition?  https://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_50_guide.pdf

According to the users guide you can convert VMware virtual machines from and to Workstation, VMware Player, VMware ACE, VMware Fusion, ESX, ESXi Embedded, ESXi Installable, and VMware Server. You can also import virtual machines from Microsoft Virtual Server and Virtual PC.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ your solution seems straightforward, but I'm not sure what imaging tool to use. I tried Paragon's Image Backup for Windows 8, but I couldn't find an option to image from a vhdx to vmdk.

I ended up creating a Windows 8 VM and using the powershell cmdlet Convert-VHD to convert from vhdx to vhd and then StarWind Converter to go from vhd to vmdk as vmroyale suggested.

For future reference what imaging tool would you recommend WoodyZ?

Thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

For future reference what imaging tool would you recommend WoodyZ?

For Windows based systems I use Symantec Norton Ghost.

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks WoodyZ!

0 Kudos
StephanvdPlas
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

despite all replies with workarounds, which actually all mean: convert to VHD first, I'd like to do a feature request for a new (standalone) converter, to be able to import Hyper-V (2012) VM's with vhdx harddisk files directly. Where can I do such  a feature request?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

StephanvdPlas wrote: Where can I do such  a feature request?

Have a look at: Making a VMware feature request (1002123)

0 Kudos
Ben_Nabulsi
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried in many ways to do this but it shouldn't be this hard. VMWare should have supported it. 

I ended up using Parallels since they support the formate out of the box for Windows 11 ARM. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Completely different thread and issue.  Windows ARM only works (sort of) with the tech preview, and even then it's not supported currently due to licensing issues.  That said, there are many threads in that forum with instructions on how to do it.

0 Kudos