VMware Communities
mjsmith1568
Contributor
Contributor

How do I change the thumbnail image in the VM Library when the VM is NOT running?

How do I change the thumbnail image in the VM Library when the VM is NOT running? It would be convenient to organize multiple virtual machines by their image, however, when I shut them down all the images are a blank black screen. Only when they run is an image displayed. I have searched everywhere for an answer. So far, I've seen an article that said the image is automatically updated every 10 seconds, but it's not clear if it persists after the VM is shut down.

I was going to change the Windows desktop picture of each virtual machine, so they would be instantly recognizable from the Virtual Machine Library, but so far it seems impossible.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

IIRC This has been discussed before and it cannot be changed.  The image you see when a VM is suspended is an encapsulated PNG within the binary .vmss file.  So, basically it is as it is until VMware does something different.

0 Kudos
mjsmith1568
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I must say, that seems like an obvious place for a feature. The whole VM Library window looks naked the way it is when VMs are not running.

Hopefully it's not coded such that a change like this is a major overhaul.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Until VMware offers something different in the Icon view then as an alternative you can choose List view and use the Notes field to annotate or differentiate as needed.  Maybe not as nice as a picture but it's the only other option present within the Virtual Machine Library at this time.

0 Kudos