VMware Communities
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I Update from Version 2?

I still have Version 2 which obviously no longer works but haven't needed to use Windows for several years. I now have a program I need to use that is only available in Windows, however, and am wondering, since I am so out of date, if there is anything I need to be concerned about or special steps I need to take to update Fusion.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

drwilke wrote: I still have Version 2 which obviously no longer works

Since we do not know what version of OS X you're using then it could not possibly be obvious to us that it no longer works! Smiley Wink

If you have any 64-bit capable Intel® Mac (Compatible with Core 2 Duo, Xeon, i3, i5, i7 processors or better) running Mac OS X 10.7.0 or later; OS X 10.7.5 or later recommended then you can download the latest version of VMware Fusion 6, presently at 6.0.3, and install it.  It should uninstall the existing version in the process of installing the downloaded version.  Then Start Up the Virtual Machine from the Virtual Machine Library in VMware Fusion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

drwilke wrote: I still have Version 2 which obviously no longer works

Since we do not know what version of OS X you're using then it could not possibly be obvious to us that it no longer works! Smiley Wink

If you have any 64-bit capable Intel® Mac (Compatible with Core 2 Duo, Xeon, i3, i5, i7 processors or better) running Mac OS X 10.7.0 or later; OS X 10.7.5 or later recommended then you can download the latest version of VMware Fusion 6, presently at 6.0.3, and install it.  It should uninstall the existing version in the process of installing the downloaded version.  Then Start Up the Virtual Machine from the Virtual Machine Library in VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I'm currently running 10.8.5. With the update, is the VMware tools worth uploading or, since I won't be using it much, just go with Fusion only for a cleaner install?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you install a new version of VMware Fusion then you should also up upgrade the VMware Tools in the Virtual Machine.  As to which package to download if you download the one without VMware Tools it will download the VMware Tools for Windows (or other supported OS) when you go to upgrade them in the Virtual Machine.  The full installer has VMware Tools for all the supported Guest OS/VMware Tools combination and McAfee VirusScan Plus.  Personally I'd never use McAfee VirusScan Plus and supply my own choice of AV/Security software.

0 Kudos
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The install went well and the VM was working briefly but then Windows shut itself down and I am now at a black screen which has also cause Fusion to become unresponsive. Had to use Force Quit. Reopened Fusion and it just went back to the black screen. It does say Windows is running. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos