VMware Communities
etank52
Contributor
Contributor

How can I use multiple monitors and not have it change all monitors to windows when one monitor is in focus?

I have two external displays on my MBP.  I like to run my MBP display in OS X for iMessage, safari, etc.  But have the other two monitors in windows.  Right now, when I click on one of the monitors with windows (and it takes focus), it takes control of my OS X display and puts it in windows as well.  I still like using windows on all three monitors, but I don't want it to force my display into windows.  Is there a way to disable this "feature" so I have more control over which monitor is in which OS?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
gleep52
Contributor
Contributor

ChipMcK - that thread is exactly like my issue, but your response there was addressing a bug with unity mode, not fullscreen mode.  There isn't a fix in that thread.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

the answer is in macOS, not VMWare.

0 Kudos
gleep52
Contributor
Contributor

So I can stop vmware from taking focus by changing what settings in macOS?

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
etank52
Contributor
Contributor

I have read all the links you provided in that thread, but they don't seem to apply here.  I think we're not on the same page.  Please re-read my situation as well as the other person's you are redirecting me too.  I have separate desktops enabled, but it still "takes focus" and forces me to a the windows desktop when I click on any of the VM's desktop spaces in another monitor.  I don't want it to redirect all my monitors to the windows environment when I work on just two of my three monitors.  I'd like OS X to remain in focus on one monitor when I need too.  Your articles/links don't show anything about that, only about unity mode which is an entirely different situation.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Post your settings for Mission Control of System Preferences

0 Kudos
etank52
Contributor
Contributor

Automatically rearrange spaces IS checked

When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application IS checked

Group windows by application IS NOT checked

Displays have separate spaces IS checked

Dashboard is off.

Anything else?

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ensure the latest copy of VMware tools is installed on the Guest OS. Also check KB https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2000384&s...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
etank52
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have the latest tools installed.  The kb article doesn't apply here. 

0 Kudos
bvicinus
Contributor
Contributor

I have a fix.

So my situation is I have 3 screens; one is my macbook pro and 2 external monitors. I want vmware fusion running on the 2 external but keep my macbook screen on mac os for email and chat. First, open vm, click 'View' then 'use all display in full screen' which will extend your vm to all available screens in full screen. then go to the screen you wish to not have vmware on it (in my situation this is my macbooks screen. Open mission control (4 fingers up on your trackpad to open if using a macbook). see how you have a vmware screen on each monitor. from mission controls top bar displaying all screens, drag the one you do not wish to have to a screen you do wish to have the vm on permanently. now when you focus on your vm only the desired ones will auto-focus.

hope this helps . Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 1.09.57 PM.png

0 Kudos