VMware Communities
UlfDunkel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I use a Mac OS X folder as a Windows drive (with an assigned drive letter)?

I've been googling for hours but didn't find any helpful answer yet, so I decided to ask right here.

On a Mac OS X 10.8.5 system, I have installed Windows XP on VMWare Fusion 6. I would like to use some user-defined Mac folders (e.g. named "Folder D" or "Folder L") as Windows drives (e.g. drive "D:\" and "L:\"). Is this possible somehow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sure, use shared folders in Fusion, then in Windows, use the SUBST: command from a CMD prompt to point the drive letter to the shared folder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sure, use shared folders in Fusion, then in Windows, use the SUBST: command from a CMD prompt to point the drive letter to the shared folder.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've been googling for hours but didn't find any helpful answer yet, so I decided to ask right here.

It seriously took me only 30 seconds to find the following querying Google...

Have a look at: Sharing a folder from your Mac to a virtual machine (1004055)

Have a look at: Cannot change the drive letter of a shared folder in VMware Fusion and Workstation (2049900)

Have a look at: Net use

0 Kudos
UlfDunkel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for pointing me to this really simple solution. Sometimes one doesn't see the forrest for the trees. This is what I did now:

In Windows, I launched Editor and created this file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\substitute.bat, with the following content:

subst d: "z:\Folder D"

subst l: "z:\Folder L"

I then added it to the Autostart folder in "Start > Programs".

After a Windows relaunch, the shared folders now are automatically mapped to the desired drive letters.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

LOL !!

Windows Explorer has Menu selection for this.

And you may make the settings permanent or temporary.

LOL

0 Kudos