VMware Communities
Mikezoe65
Contributor
Contributor

How can I simply create a full clone of my MacBook Pro (2015 model), Fusion 8.5 and Windows 10?

My daughter has been pleased with her MacBook Pro allowing her to run Windows 10 via Fusion 8.5. The MacBook OS is backed up with Time Machine but I understand that TM does not backup the Windows partition which concerns me. In the event of the failure of the 256gb HDD her ability to run her business would be compromised. I have ploughed through the relevant advice on this forum and the net but have not found the solution. There must be a reliable method either locally or in the Cloud.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

A good way to think about this situation is to consider a seperation of the OS from the Data.

One strategy is to use shared or mirrored folders which keeps the 'real' files on the Mac (assuming files are being saved in those locations on Windows).

This allows for time machine to do it's thing.

You can then make a 'copy' of the full VM file (when it's shut down, not suspended).

The copy can even be put on the Time Machine volume (just not in the backup folders).

Then when a thing goes wrong, user restores from Time Machine backup, copies over the 'backed up' VM from wherever and puts it back in the Virtual Machines folder, launches the VM/Windows and things pick up from the Time Machine restore point (from a document perspective).

There's also a pretty cool tool out there made by one of our very own community members called Vimalin for backing up full VMs 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Mikezoe65
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your reply and for offering solutions. I am buying a 64gb memory stick and testing the Vimalin software with a view to buying a licence if it goes well. Do you think a memory stick is sufficiently reliable or should I opt for a 2.5” HD or SSD?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks Mike for the recommendation, please note that vimalin doesn't support bootcamp VM's at the moment.

That would be a raw disk backup and is currently out of scope.

So the bootcamp partition would have to be imported to a real VM in order to be backed up by Vimalin.

If OTOH the Windows VM is not based on bootcamp, but a normal Windows virtual machine then Vimalin should work fine.

For backup I recommend an external disk over a usb stick any time.

An external disk is faster and more endurable.

A 2.5" disk should be fine, if you use the backup scheduler then it doesn't matter if it is a bit slower as the backups will be made when you're not there.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos