VMware Communities
Zetro
Contributor
Contributor

How can I boot into my bootcamp partition at startup like I did before installing vmFusion?

• TLDR @ bottom Thank you in advance!

Hi all, first post here, MBP late 2011 i5. Been running VMware's Fusion for a while now, but I have a problem that I have been putting off for a while due to having no luck in google and forum searches, so I'm hoping you lads could help me out.

Every now and then I need to run a windows program thats too stressful and doesn't perform well if I'm in vmFusion (this comp is only an i5). So in this case I'd usually just restart and boot into my windows partition by holding the [Option] key at startup. Except now the windows partition isn't visible in that startup menu anymore-- it would usually be || Mac OS X || Bootcamp || RecoveryHDD ||.

I went into the system settings and changed the startup disk of my macbook to Bootcamp(Windows), then booted into it only to have a black screen with a message along the lines of Boot disk not found. My partition boots up fine through Fusion by the way, just finished using it.

I've looked through the manual and video tutorials but haven't been able to find anything relating to this. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and this isn't a sort of glitch, but I'd really appreciate any help you gents could give me.

==TLDR=============================================

• Holding [Option] key at startup to boot into Bootcamp partition.
  • Bootcamp disk isn't showing there anymore
  • Que?

====================================================

TYIA

-Zetro

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you install a NTFS-read/write package ?

Such packages do as you are experiencing.

0 Kudos
Zetro
Contributor
Contributor

I do have an older version of this installed; "Paragon NTFS for OS X" http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/.

Not sure if thats exactly what you're referring to, but if it is, how do you recommend I go about troubleshooting this?

Update it to the Yosemite release? Temporarily uninstall it?

Thanks for the reply btw

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Zetro wrote: how do you recommend I go about troubleshooting this? Update it to the Yosemite release? Temporarily uninstall it?

I use Tuxera NTFS and if I just disable it then I can boot the Boot Camp partition normally so I'd first try disabling NTFS for Mac OS X in System Preferences.  Looking at the documentation for Paragon NTFS for Mac 12 it shows you can select the Boot Camp partition as the Startup Disk from its preference pane.

It also states: "After installing the driver, Mac OS X Startup Disk (a utility responsible for setting an active operating system) stops recognizing Windows installed with Boot Camp. It’s an internal problem of Mac OS X, so we can do nothing with it. As a way out, you can choose your Windows volume on the left side of the pane, and then click the Set as Startup button to start it up next time you launch the computer."

0 Kudos
Zetro
Contributor
Contributor

TY for the reply WoodyZ, really appreciate your time especially now that I know that this problem (thanks to you guys!) is unrelated to vmFusion.

I've gone into the Paragon settings pane in the SystemSettings, but here too my windows bootcamp partition is not visible and not selectable as the startup disk. I've attached a screenshot showing this, along with  my bootcamp partition under MyComputer and that it is NTFS formatted.

At this point I'm going to try uninstalling the NTFS program and rebooting. I'll also begin looking elsewhere for answers as this doesn't pertain to the forum.

Would appreciate any other help you could offer, but regardless, thanks once again.

0 Kudos