VMware Communities
ronniehuttner
Contributor
Contributor

How Does One Create A Virtual Machine On An External Drive ?

I have VMWare Fusion 2.0.1 installed on the Hard Drive of my G5 iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running Mac OSX 10.5.6. I have created a Virtual Machine (Windows XP Pro) on that same Hard Drive and it is working fine. However I currently only have 20 Gb of space left on my Hard Drive after having alloted 25 Gb to the Virtual Machine. I have recently purchased a 1 Tb External Drive and would like to create another Virtual Machine on it, with a much higher capacity. But I have not the faintest idea how to do that and have a very limited grasp indeed of the intricacies of this rather complicated software. Has anyone done this ? Could some kind soul guide me gently through what is needed to achieve my desired result ? I am not a computer illiterate, but not a nerd or a geek either !!

And I do find VMWare Fusion a pretty complex piece of software to fully understand.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant and you get to the Finish sheet there is a Customize Settings button and you'd click that and then use the controls available to change the location you want to save the Virtual Machine Document Package to.

Note: You may need to click the down arrow button to the right of the Save As: Text Box to enable navigation to a different location.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant and you get to the Finish sheet there is a Customize Settings button and you'd click that and then use the controls available to change the location you want to save the Virtual Machine Document Package to.

As a slight correction, you don't need to use Customize Settings, you get prompted for a save location even if you just use Finish.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As a slight correction, you don't need to use Customize Settings, you get prompted for a save location even if you just use Finish.

While it is true the Save As dialog box does appear after clicking the Finish button there is also nothing wrong with doing it the way I suggested and I typically like to make changes to the Virtual Machine's Settings that are not available through the Wizard and to do so prior to starting the install and what I presented enables both.

I forgot to mention that while the intent of the Customize Settings button is probably more for the actual virtual attributes of the Virtual Machine itself I nonetheless consider saving to other then the VMware Fusion Default Location to be a customization and as such my reply is valid and correct as is yours.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
ronniehuttner
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much to both of you for your prompt and most helpful replies.

Very much appreciated.

Happy New Year !

Ron

0 Kudos