VMware Communities
ltcbio
Contributor
Contributor

How Do I share removable drives betwen Windows and Mac

Does anyone know where I can find info on how to sucessfully share removable hard drives between Mac and Windows when using Fusion? I have formated the removable drives in FAT 32 (DOS), but windows does not seem to recognize them. In the best of worlds, I would be able to see and use these drives from both operating systems without having to disconnect and reconnect. Any assistance would be nice, thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Map the Removable Drive to a Shared Folder and it will be available in both Windows and Mac. Search the online help for how to attach a folder or drive to a Shared Folder.

Pat

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know where I can find info on how to sucessfully share removable hard drives between Mac and Windows when using Fusion? I have formated the removable drives in FAT 32 (DOS), but windows does not seem to recognize them. In the best of worlds, I would be able to see and use these drives from both operating systems without having to disconnect and reconnect. Any assistance would be nice, thanks!

If you want both to have access at the same time then you have a few choices, two of which are... using either the VMware Shared Folders feature (which I do not recommend because it's buggy and problematic) or SMB in OS X (which I prefer and recommend over the former).

For VMware Shared Folders feature had a look at: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Moving and Sharing Files with Your Mac > Sharing Files Between Virtual Machines and Your Mac

To enable shared folders for a virtual machine >

To add a shared folder >

For SBM have a look at both the Mac OS X Help Files and the Windows XP Help Files which cover this.

Mac OS X - Finder menu bar > Help > in Search box type sharing > select Sharing with Windows computers

Windows XP - Start > Help and Support > in Search box type connect to a network resource > under Search Results > Pick a task click connect to a network resource

If the version of Windows is other then XP there should still be information in the Help Files.

0 Kudos