VMware Communities
Missbunny
Contributor
Contributor

Host does not support Intel VT-x

Hi everyone,

I am trying to start up the Windows 10 x64 VM (created with VMware Fusion 11) on the MacOS X VM (with macOS Mojave 14.6.06 installed). However, I got the error message of "This host does not support Intel VT-x". Following are the details of the error message:

This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization. This host appears to be running in a virtual machine with VHV disabled. Ensure that VHV is enabled in the virtual machine configuration file. Module 'CPUIDEarly' power on failed. Failed to start the virtual machine.

Has anyone came across this issue as well? I have also attached a screenshot.

Thank you!

Missbunny.

Labels (1)
  • e

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Did you say that you are running macOS in a VM and the trying to run Fusion in that vM to start a Windows VM? That would be nested virtualization, correct?

if I’m interpreting things correctly, my question is what hardware/OS are you running the macOS VM on?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

@Technogeezer wrote:

Did you say that you are running macOS in a VM and the trying to run Fusion in that vM to start a Windows VM? That would be nested virtualization, correct?

if I’m interpreting things correctly, my question is what hardware/OS are you running the macOS VM on?

From the screenshot attached, it looks the macOS VM running inside VMware Workstation Pro (you can see the Home tab next to the VM tab). So it looks like it isn't running on Apple hardware (which violates Apple EULA). Even if OP is running on Apple hardware with Windows Bootcamp, it means it is using a cracked copy of Workstation Pro to run a macOS VM; which violates the VMware EULA. Violating vendor EULAs is against the VMware Communities terms of use.

A moderator should be locking this thread.

0 Kudos
Missbunny
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer Thank you for your prompt response!

Yes that's right - I am running macOS in a VM and trying to run Fusion in that VM to start a Windows VM. And yes, nested virtualization.

I am running the macOS VM in the VMware workstation 16.2x (hardware compatibility) on my Windows system.

0 Kudos