VMware Communities
ssintay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host OS rebooting every night

I believe that some interaction with the host OS and the VMware is causing the host OS to reboot everynight, and as a result the VMware OS goes through a hard reboot.

I am running OSX 10.9.5 on a MacBook Air with VMware fusion 7.1.1. I am running Windows 7 enterprise.

I have verified that the power management settings in windows 7. They are to never turn off the display and never put the computer to sleep.

In OSX the system will sleep after 15 minutes on both the Power Adapter and the Battery.

I do not have a problem with VM or the host system after waking the host system up from sleep. However, at some point over night the host system will reboot with a hard reboot.

When I close VMware it does not reboot over night.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Letting the host sleep while a VM is running can cause all sorts of funky problems.  Best practice is to manually pause the guest in fusion first, then sleep the host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Letting the host sleep while a VM is running can cause all sorts of funky problems.  Best practice is to manually pause the guest in fusion first, then sleep the host.

0 Kudos
ssintay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I reset the sleeping and shutdown timing to allow the VM to sleep first. I have been running like this for over a week, and I have not had the host reboot.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Cool - glad it worked!

0 Kudos