VMware Communities
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Sierra and Fusion "stuck" keys

Hi to all,

inside the Windows VM, sometimes when I strike Ctrl+c, some seconds after I release the key combination it results in typing repeatedly "cccccccccccccc..." or after having struck Ctrl+v it results in "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv..." and it doesn't stop until I press another key. It happens with the delete key or the tab key, too.

This happens very frequently (an average of once every 2 - 3 minutes, but it can happen twice in a minute or more) but randomly and in combination with a "special key" (i.e. Ctrl, Delete, End, Backslash, etc.) and is VERY, VERY annoying.

Almost every time that this happens, I noticed that when I press the ESC key, it opens up the Windows Start Menu.

To "re-enable" a (temporary) correct working state of the keyboard, I have to repeatedly press ESC, then repeatedly press CTRL, then repeatedly press the Windows key, then repeatedly press the ALT key. After that, I can continue working for a couple of minutes befor it happens again

It started happening as I upgraded to High Sierra (from El Capitan) and to Fusion 10.0.0 (and it's upgrade to 10.0.1) from fusion 8.x.

I later downgraded to Fusion 8.5.8 (ev. upgraded to 8.5.9) to resolve the CAPS LOCK issue, but this one remained, unfortunately.

In the meantime I have upgraded Windows 10 on both my VMs to version 1709 (OS build 16299.64) from Version 1703 (OS build 15063.674), but the issue remains.

This is making me NUTS, I cannot work anymore and I am a bit desperate.

This issue seems only to happen inside the VMs, not in the Mac host.

I already tried switching keyboard with a Mac one (usb), but the problem stays the same.

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling last version of vmware Tools, with no success

I already tried searching on the internet for a solution, but until now, no tweak has worked for me.

Can someone help me, please?

Info:

Mac (27-inch, Late 2013), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Osx: 10.13.1 High Sierra

Fusion: 8.5.9 (7098239)

VM: Windows 10, Version 1709 (OS build 16299.64)

167 Replies
Bradall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Fredh,

Have you upgraded to 11.1? I have and its still present. Seems that the patch you have only works in fusion 10 and it has not been bought forward. You did not get a version 11 patch by chance?

0 Kudos
robmas
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone confirm that this is fixed on High Sierra and version 10.1.5, have just installed it after the issue occurred again on 10.1.3?

0 Kudos
Bradall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No not fixed at all on any version unfrotunately. 10.1.3 patch was the best attempt at fixing it but that seemed to be only that release. Post that the patch seems to have been dropped and all versions return to the multipl key bounce issues. This is not corrected in any version of Mojave or 11.0,1 or 2. Simply make using fusion almost unusable. Happens in every OS. This is now almost a 12 month old bug and I'm sorry to say that the answer is a few pages back which is to move to parallels. THis fixes the problem permanently as it appears that VMWare can not manage to address it.

0 Kudos
robmas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, I'll hang fire on purchasing the update and maybe look at parallels or maybe QEMU will come good now it has HVF support, doesn't work for linux VMs much right now but if it gets fixed it might be a free option

0 Kudos
Merideus
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently running Mojave 10.14.2 and Fusion 11.0.2 and I can say this issue still persists.  I had many variables to attempt to eliminate, but regardless of what I've attempted the problem persists. 

0 Kudos
Bradall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As this thread was for High Sierra and shows as resolved using the once off VMWare patch I created a new threadfor Mojave to record the issue. Although after so long its obvious that VMware can not fix the issue. I can confirm that a move to Parallels fixes the issue.

The new thread is VMWare Fusion Stuck Keys i simply removed the reference to a particular release of Apple because it looks like it will persist for many years.

0 Kudos
mikeopolo
Contributor
Contributor

Using the below mix, I've experienced this problem for several weeks, increasingly often.

Two days ago I ran the "Reinstall VMWare tools" option, and chose "Repair", and both the onboard and external keyboards have been rock solid ever since (as they have always been in OSX apps themselves). I may have missed it, but I haven't seen this recommended as a solution elsewhere. Hoping for continued stability.

MacBook Pro 2016 15"

OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

VMWare Fusion 10.1.5 (10950653)

Hosting Windows 10 Pro

0 Kudos
MarnixDecokere
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

I just bough Fusion 11 on my mac mid 2012 Macbook pro running Mojave.

This problems still exists.  It happens on all w7 and w10 vm's I have.

Will this ever be fixed?  I can see this listed on the internet since 2011!

What is up vmware?

I also use Parallels and I have no such problems.

Parallels also runs faster.

I test our software on windows platforms, inlcuding in vm's.

If our customer has a mac we like to be able to propose 2 platforms.

Right now, it looks like we only have 1, Parallels but sometimes customers do not want this because they already use vmware on servers etc..

So vmware, what is the fix and why does it take 8 years to fix this?

0 Kudos