VMware Communities
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Sierra and Fusion "stuck" keys

Hi to all,

inside the Windows VM, sometimes when I strike Ctrl+c, some seconds after I release the key combination it results in typing repeatedly "cccccccccccccc..." or after having struck Ctrl+v it results in "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv..." and it doesn't stop until I press another key. It happens with the delete key or the tab key, too.

This happens very frequently (an average of once every 2 - 3 minutes, but it can happen twice in a minute or more) but randomly and in combination with a "special key" (i.e. Ctrl, Delete, End, Backslash, etc.) and is VERY, VERY annoying.

Almost every time that this happens, I noticed that when I press the ESC key, it opens up the Windows Start Menu.

To "re-enable" a (temporary) correct working state of the keyboard, I have to repeatedly press ESC, then repeatedly press CTRL, then repeatedly press the Windows key, then repeatedly press the ALT key. After that, I can continue working for a couple of minutes befor it happens again

It started happening as I upgraded to High Sierra (from El Capitan) and to Fusion 10.0.0 (and it's upgrade to 10.0.1) from fusion 8.x.

I later downgraded to Fusion 8.5.8 (ev. upgraded to 8.5.9) to resolve the CAPS LOCK issue, but this one remained, unfortunately.

In the meantime I have upgraded Windows 10 on both my VMs to version 1709 (OS build 16299.64) from Version 1703 (OS build 15063.674), but the issue remains.

This is making me NUTS, I cannot work anymore and I am a bit desperate.

This issue seems only to happen inside the VMs, not in the Mac host.

I already tried switching keyboard with a Mac one (usb), but the problem stays the same.

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling last version of vmware Tools, with no success

I already tried searching on the internet for a solution, but until now, no tweak has worked for me.

Can someone help me, please?

Info:

Mac (27-inch, Late 2013), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Osx: 10.13.1 High Sierra

Fusion: 8.5.9 (7098239)

VM: Windows 10, Version 1709 (OS build 16299.64)

167 Replies
BSadmin95
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The next question is will any updates come to version 8? Thank you for the update, we will be looking forward to that release.

0 Kudos
AzarSpartacus
Contributor
Contributor

I paid Apple $100 to join their developer program to access the Beta version. After upgrading to 17E190a, the issue is still not resolved for me; I am still experiencing the sticky keys issue. I am also running Fusion 10.1.1 (7520154). At least now I can side load Kodi on my Apple TV.

UPDATE: I reverted back to the keyboard that I've been using that doesn't cause this issue, and now I am experiencing the issue on that keyboard as well. The beta upgrade not only did not fix the issue, but in turn, made the issue worse.

jkirk14
Contributor
Contributor

Stuck keys wreaking all kinds of havoc including deleting emails from outlook inbox, files from network folders, etc.  Is there any fix in the works?  Update to High Sierra 10.13.4 seems to involve even more keystroke issues.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem is that I haven't been able to reproduce this problem, so I can't really even guess at a fix. I've asked our internal Fusion QE folks to help try to reproduce this again. Thank you for reporting back that it's not fixed in 10.13.4. I'm really sorry to hear that. I was hoping. Hopefully I can get some help internally and get someone to find a solid repro case for this so we can start looking for a fix.

0 Kudos
jkirk14
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth, any keyboard wired or bluetooth is a problem - Logitech, Microsoft, or Dell.  Using MacBook Pro, with 2412M Dell Monitor, Belkin Thunderbolt Express Docking station, windows 7x64, fusion 10.1.1.  Not a Swiss localization issue as this is in Colorado.  Using 3.0 USB compatibility.  May try downgrading USB compatibility to 2.0 to see if that does anything.

0 Kudos
qmah
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also seeing the same problem in Fusion 8.5.10.

I have a Mac Pro 2013 running High Sierra 10.13.4. Display is a Dell U3415W. Apple wired keyboard is plugged in to the display's USB hub. Guest OS is El Capitan, 10.11.6.

0 Kudos
ak68
Contributor
Contributor

I have the very same "stuck keys" problem.

I am using an iMac Retina (end of 2015).

MacOS is Version 10.13.4 and VMware Fusion is Version 10.1.1.

I have 2 additional screens, both of type DELL U2412M.

My guest OS is Ubuntu Linux 16.04, running on one of the additional DELL screens in full screen mode.

I am using the original Apple wired USB keyboard purchased about 2016.

The "stuck keys" issue comes up every 10 minutes in the guest VM.

Often this happens when I use Cmd+C / Cmd+V operations. Sometimes also then I just press "Delete".

On other occasions it appears that the "Ctrl" key or the "Scroll Lock" key is suddenly enabled (pressed) in the guest VM.

To solve the issue temporarily, I have to press "Esc" in the guest Linux VM, click once in the host window and then click back in the guest VM.

Then the keyboard works normally, until it happens again 10 about minutes later...

One more remark: I have a similar setup at home, where instead of an iMac I use a MacBook Pro with 2 additional screens.

I do not use an additional keyboard here, instead using the build-in keyboard of the MacBook.

Using the same guest VM, doing the same stuff, the "stuck keys" issue is NOT happening there.

0 Kudos
dagronf
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.  MacOS High Sierra Server host (iMac Pro 10.13.4) running Sierra guest with VMWare Fusion Version 10.1.1 (7520154)

Keys get stuck like crazy (especially Ctrl, Option and Shift keys).  Previous host hardware (iMac i7 host, macOS Sierra Server, Sierra guest) didn't have any issues on VMWare Fusion 10

Single (built-in) screen, basic Apple extended keyboard that came with the computer. basic wired mouse (Microsoft)

0 Kudos
Portelly
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here

Mac Mini 6,1 Late 2012, 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Osx: 10.13.4 (and before) High Sierra

Fusion: 10.1.1 (7520154)

VM: Windows 10, Version 1709 (OS build 16299.309)

External display: 2 x ASUS VW266H

I try the keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "2000000"   option but didn't help.

Same problem with other wired keyboard

I didn't test with a Bluetooth keyboard

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the info ak68​ . This is really helpful. It's really weird that the same guest VM does not exhibit the same problem on different hardware. Also, could you please give me some more granularity on the Cmd+C/Cmd+V steps... what exactly are you copying and pasting? Are you copying and pasting text or documents or images, etc.? And are you copying from guest, staying in guest, and then pasting in guest? Or are you copying between guest and host when you see this happen? Thanks for the info!!

0 Kudos
jkirk14
Contributor
Contributor

On MacBook Pro, the built-in keyboard of the machine doesn't elicit the behavior (as ak68 mentions).  It's usb/bluetooth keyboards.  It doesn't matter what is being copied/pasted/selected.  It doesn't even need to be the ctrl or shift combo keys, though those are among the most detrimental (along with repeating delete key).  I have seen any and all keys repeat, all in the same environment.  Pressing more than one at the same time seems to initiate the problem more frequently, which seems to be why frequent combos like ctrl+c ctrl+v are common issues.

0 Kudos
Bross0
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. About four months of switching out my USB hub, my keyboard, blaming it on RDP, and going crazy, only to find it's this. Now I've stopped using my external keyboard until this is resolved. This is a very significant and urgent problem.

not_the_admin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with the built-in macbook keyboard. Do you have the USB keyboard plugged in at all times (wondering if I should go purchase a cheap one and plug it in haha).

The issue seems to not discriminate between keys, and backspace is frustratingly common.

VMware fusion:

Professional Version 7.1.3 (3204469)

Host:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0145.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

VM:

Linux ubuntu 4.4.0-121-generic #145-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 13 13:47:23 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsmod | grep hid

mac_hid                16384  0
hid_generic            16384  0
usbhid                 49152  0
hid                   122880  2 hid_generic,usbhid

Note: I'm also not in Switzerland  :smileylaugh: I'm a couple miles away from VMware HQ.

0 Kudos
miker456
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I could say that switching to the built-in keyboard resolves the issue, but that is apparently not the case for me.

About 15 minutes after having switched to using the built-in keyboard on my 2015 Macbook Pro, I got a stuck key. Specifically, it behaved as though the Tab key was held down.

Some details about my system:

• OSX 10.13.4
  • VMware Fusion 10.1.1
  • Keyboard: built-in
  • Displays: Retina display + 2x HDMI external 1080p monitors.
  • Guest VM: Windows 8.1 64 bit, running windowed on an external HDMI monitor.

Hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP114.0182.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

0 Kudos
KevinRattan
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having the issue for a while - sticky keys, especially backspace and comma - while using a usb keyboard on both mac and windows vms inside high sierra (but more inside mac vms - both older releases and the current version). 

Yesterday, I naively upgraded to fusion 10, in the hope that it would fix the issue.  It did not.  I am using a US keyboard on a US mac inside the USA... so it's not like I'm straining the machine with an unusual setup.

It would be nice if VMware could get around to fixing this... I've been using vmware for many years, but pretty soon now, I'm going to be looking at alternative virtualization providers. (Especially as I'm getting other issues now I've upgraded - can't upgrade vmware tools in my windows vms; installing tools inside my mac vms causes them to repaint the screen about as quickly as I could....).  Overall, seriously unimpressed right now.

0 Kudos
KevinRattan
Contributor
Contributor

And now I see it's actually even worse than I thought. I have the same issue with the built in keyboard.

0 Kudos
miker456
Contributor
Contributor

Out of curiosity, does anyone have "USB Overdrive" installed on their affected system?

0 Kudos
dagronf
Contributor
Contributor

> Out of curiosity, does anyone have "USB Overdrive" installed on their affected system?

No I don't.

0 Kudos
ZekeN
Contributor
Contributor

Setup:

Host: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2013)  16GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, 2 external displays and external keyboard + mouse -  running VMWare Fusion 8.5.10

Guest: Windows 7 Enterprise x64

I have tried:

- Changing out external keyboard and mouse

- Moving guest image to a new computer

- Uninstalling and installing VMWare Tools

- Adding `keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "2000000"` to .VMX

- Disabling all unnecessary keyboard mappings on VMWare Fusion Settings > Keyboard & Mouse

Nothing seemed to work until the following fix.

The following registry changes have worked for 2 users so far, the issue is not completely gone away but is definitely tolerable:

Start > Run > regedit.exe

Go to : [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]

Apply the following changes:

- AutoRepeatDelay : 1000

- AutoRepeatRate : 2000

- DelayBeforeAcceptance : 1000

- Last Valid Repeat : 7d0

pastedImage_31.png

not_the_admin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ZekeN, hadn't considered disabling the key repeat functionality.

For anyone interested, for  Linux add 'xset -r' to your ~/.xinitrc.