VMware Communities
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Sierra and Fusion "stuck" keys

Hi to all,

inside the Windows VM, sometimes when I strike Ctrl+c, some seconds after I release the key combination it results in typing repeatedly "cccccccccccccc..." or after having struck Ctrl+v it results in "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv..." and it doesn't stop until I press another key. It happens with the delete key or the tab key, too.

This happens very frequently (an average of once every 2 - 3 minutes, but it can happen twice in a minute or more) but randomly and in combination with a "special key" (i.e. Ctrl, Delete, End, Backslash, etc.) and is VERY, VERY annoying.

Almost every time that this happens, I noticed that when I press the ESC key, it opens up the Windows Start Menu.

To "re-enable" a (temporary) correct working state of the keyboard, I have to repeatedly press ESC, then repeatedly press CTRL, then repeatedly press the Windows key, then repeatedly press the ALT key. After that, I can continue working for a couple of minutes befor it happens again

It started happening as I upgraded to High Sierra (from El Capitan) and to Fusion 10.0.0 (and it's upgrade to 10.0.1) from fusion 8.x.

I later downgraded to Fusion 8.5.8 (ev. upgraded to 8.5.9) to resolve the CAPS LOCK issue, but this one remained, unfortunately.

In the meantime I have upgraded Windows 10 on both my VMs to version 1709 (OS build 16299.64) from Version 1703 (OS build 15063.674), but the issue remains.

This is making me NUTS, I cannot work anymore and I am a bit desperate.

This issue seems only to happen inside the VMs, not in the Mac host.

I already tried switching keyboard with a Mac one (usb), but the problem stays the same.

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling last version of vmware Tools, with no success

I already tried searching on the internet for a solution, but until now, no tweak has worked for me.

Can someone help me, please?

Info:

Mac (27-inch, Late 2013), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Osx: 10.13.1 High Sierra

Fusion: 8.5.9 (7098239)

VM: Windows 10, Version 1709 (OS build 16299.64)

167 Replies
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi to all,

the issue does not want to disappear, today it has been the same calvary, all day long.

If you need further details, please ask.

Thanks to whoever has a clue about it and is willing to propose a solution.

Bye

Orso Grigio

elcamino78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi OrsoGrigio,

I can only confirm the problem here as well. The same story, the same effect.

It's a pain. My workdays are hell. It happens mostly when using control key combinations (typically Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V), but also for Alt-Tab. When releasing the keys, only one key gets released in the VM guest.

There is no help I think at the moment. It is there for Windows and Linux guests; it is there for all (available) versions of VMware Tools. It does not depend on the physical hardware. The Mac OS X keyboard settings or VMWare Fusion keyboard settings bring no help.

I blame High Sierra (with Sierra the VMware Fusion was working fine).

I think it is a real problem; I think VMware has so far no grip on why it happens and what could be the solution. All solutions provided on internet or via VMware support are not helping.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As a VMware forum moderator I can see a bit more details about user profiles as a normal user and one thing that strikes me as very odd is that you both are from Switzerland...

There have been - as far as I am aware - no other reports about this particular issue.

In your case I would try and see if change keyboard layouts to US on both host as well as guest OS makes a difference.

If it does then at least you have something to tell to VMware support and hopefully they'll be able to track this down.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
elcamino78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

thank you for your response. That is odd, the coincidence...

While using a Switzerland-sourced Macbook (Macbook Pro Retina 15", Mid 2017) with High Sierra (updated today to 10.13.2), I am using a US-style notebook (US-English keyboard - physically, and also logical layout-wise). This is true also for my guest VMs (CentOS 6 Linux and Windows 7), both with US-English keyboards.

Symptoms:

As described in the first message, the problems started after upgrade to High-Sierra mac OS some days ago (previously, with Sierra and Fusion 8.5.x all was fine). In 8.5.x (after upgrade to High Sieera) the keyboard problems problems started (as described). Then I figured out Fusion 8.5.x is not High Sierra-compatible, and bought+upgraded to Fusion 10.x. but the problems persist.

Got into touch with VMware support; tried all what was suggested. No help.

Tried upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.2, the situation got a even a bit worse.

Oftentimes,  when I press two key combination (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Alt-Tab, Shift-End, Shift-Tab, etc.) and then release them, on of the key is not released in the VM, it remains "stuck".

It seems to be worse when the VM is under heavy CPU load, but I am not completely sure about this.

I am running:

Macbook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014

High Sierra 10.13.2

US Keyboard layout (Swiss-German logical layout available, but not used)

16GB RAM

Happens for both external and internal keyboard. (No USB hub).

VMware Fusion 10.0.1

VM Guest 1: Linux 6 64bit, 8GB RAM, 4 logical CPU cores, newest VM tools (as of today)

VM Guest 2: Windows 64bit, 4GB RAM, 2 logical CPU cores, newest VM tools (as of today)

The keyboard problems are present in both guests, in the same way.

No adjustments on the .VMX file level or in the Mac keyboard settings have helped today.

I'll try to remove the foreign language keyboard in mac OS to see if that has any effect. Thanks.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Strange, I found one other report.. also from Switzerland, I"ve pointed that user to this thread.

Yes, it might just be a red herring, but it is strange to only see this particular issue reported from Switzerland.

Then again you might just be the "lucky" first persons to bump into this.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Wil, we are definitely the first "lucky people" to bump into this, as I have modified my keyboard settings for both the Mac and the Windows 10 guest, setting US keyboard only.

The annoying issue is still there.

This morning I have also updated High Sierra to 10.13.2, but with no chance.

I feel really helpless 😞

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Strange.

Well there's another thing you can try, it is a setting for remote connections where sometimes due to latency keys end up stuck.

You are not using a remote connection, but as it has the same result, it might still help.

Power off the virtual machine. 
Add a line, similar to this, at the end of your virtual machine's configuration (.vmx) file:
   keyboard.typematicMinDelay = "2000000" 
The delay is specified in micro-seconds, so the line in the example above increases the repeat time to 2 seconds. 
This should ensure that you never get auto-repeat unless you intend it.

Repeated characters when typing in remote console

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Wil,

this is one of the first things I have done, with no luck.

0 Kudos
elcamino78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil,

I can only confirm OrsoGrigio's finding.

No parameter change in .vmx file helped so far. (typematic delay).

The newest Apple updates did not help either.

To continue work, I moved my VMs to another macbook with macOS Sierra (not High Sierra), with Fusion 10.  It works all ok there (or seems so far).

So I blame High Sierra.

@OrsoGrigio:

Could you please confirm which keyboard are you using? For me it happens with the original Apple 101-key aluminium keyboard (wired) - I did not try other keyboards. (That keyboard seems to work fine in Sierra).

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi elcamino78,

I usually work on a Microsoft Digital Media Pro (model 1031) keyboard, but I have already tried working on an original 101 keys Apple keyboard (usb), with the same catastrophic result.

0 Kudos
elcamino78
Contributor
Contributor

I conclude then it is not a hardware-related issue, and is related to the High Sierra update (OS-level or BIOS-level update).

I still believe it occurs more often under high CPU load (the USB events are then not detected or dropped).

I can't tell whether it is a BIOS-level (or whatever it is called in Apple lingo) problem, i.e., whether downgrading to Sierra will help you.

I switched to another Macbook where I avoided the High Sierra update (running previous Sierra).

I know how limiting this situation is. One can't work at all (anything that involves keyboard work is hampered).

The only temporary solution would be to use another computer and access the VM via network+remote desktop, to avoid the physical keyboard handling in High Sierra.

OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm not so sure about the CPU load... it happened twice in the last 3 minutes, and according to Activity monitor the CPU was not so busy at the time (see attachment).

Just to add some information, my Mac has 4 cores and 32 GB of RAM in total, and my VMs are set as following:

first VM (Windows 10): 2 processor cores and 12 GB RAM

second VM (Windows 10): 1 processor core and 9 GB RAM

remaining for the host: 1 processor core and 11 GB RAM

0 Kudos
BSadmin95
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This extends beyond Switzerland. In my work environment, all users who work on High Sierra with multiple monitors run into this issue. Those still on Sierra are able to run VMware Fusion 8.5.x with no repeating keys. How do we get to the bottom of this problem?

OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi BSadmin95,

in fact, I also have multiple monitors on my Mac (I currently use 2 Dell external monitors in addition to the built-in iMac screen).

it seems that we are narrowing down the problem...

@elcamino78: do you also work with multiple monitors?

elcamino78
Contributor
Contributor

I use one external Dell 34" Monitor and the internal Retina macbook display side-to-side. Hmmm.

BSadmin95
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For my users with thunderbolt displays, the problem does not arise. I have found setting the Keyboard & Mouse profile "Profile" to default reduces the frequency of the problem and makes it so you can simply tap the stuck key, but I am still seeking a comprehensive solution.

I am glad to find that I am not the only one experiencing this. High Sierra has been out for over 2 months and I thought surely it was an anomaly for our environment.

elcamino78
Contributor
Contributor

For me, the external display is connected via Mini-Display port (not HDMI).

Tapping the stuck key stops the character typing, but the damage is done already.

So what are  common items here?

Apple Macbook (me: Pro 15" Mid 2014 with Retina)

External display(s) (me: Dell Ultrasharp U3415W, connected via Mini-DisplayPort)

macOS High Sierra

VMware Fusion 10

heeyuan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem of stuck key on High Sierra with Fusion 10.0.1 and I'm not from Switzerland and I only use US keyboard layout for both host and guest OS. I am using a monitor via display port. I have tried all the suggested solution and none worked for me as well. As with other users who replied, I do not think it's a regional problem but something to do with the combination of High Sierra and Fusion 10.0.1. From the first release of High Sierra until the latest version 10.13.2, the problem is still there and it is quite annoying especially with my tasks that requires heavy keyboard usage. Countless of unwanted and unexpected side effects as we can't know precisely which key is stuck until after we hit another key. Updated to latest VMWare Tools did not help and I'm not using it any it remotely, which I think most of us has already been reading that support reply and no help at all. Please tell us at least when a fix can be given, we really need it.

OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For sake of information, my 2 external displays are connected to my 2 Thunderbolt ports (via 2 DVI adapters), see attached image

0 Kudos