VMware Communities
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High Sierra VM working....

First, I currently have Fusion 8.5.8 installed.

Being part of public beta, I downloaded the High Sierra installer as one normally would.

Had whole variety of issues installing, but that is an Apple thing.

I decided I would try to install as a VM in Fusion.  So, I created a new VM via "Install from disc or

image".  When prompted, selected the "Install High Sierra Beta" in applications and let things fly.

First item of interest, there was never any option, check box, or any thing else in terms of enabling/disabling

APFS (this was also true with my attempts at a native install).

I did end up with a functioning High Sierra VM with APFS.  I did bump RAM to 8GB.  Proceeded to play a bit

and didn't run into any issues within the VM. 

Did find that drag and drop from host to VM not working.  Something odd, when dragging the file from host

to the VM, the Apple menu opens on the VM?

Came across something very interesting, especially for those who can't get High Sierra to install natively

(my issue was the dreaded "firmware verification" error which no one seems to have a clue as to how to deal

with).  Format an external drive with HFS+ journaled and attach to the VM or attach a drive and do it from within the

High Sierra VM.  Install Carbon Copy Cloner in the VM.  Clone the VM to the external drive.

The result ends up as a bootable non-APFS High Sierra drive.  So, anyone with some native High Sierra Beta install

issue, like me, might be able to use this idea to test drive native, albeit without APFS.

Note: The host was running macOS 10.12.6.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW, High Sierra Beta & updated and is working in VM.

Still have the same odd issue with drag and drop between host and VM.

Apple menu pops up in VM and file does not transfer. 

In remains APFS and Carbon Copy Cloner still works to clone a bootable

HFS+ version.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You may have better luck with the tech preview - that's where we're likely to see High Sierra support, not 8.x

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

I just installed High Sierra beta without major issues. I replicated the bug that Woodmeister50​ described where drag and drop from the host to the guest causes the Apple menu to pop up (and the file copy fails). Drag and drop from the guest to the host works correctly. I installed High Sierra BETA using the following method:

* In an ordinary Sierra virtual machine, I requested the High Sierra beta and downloaded it to the Applications folder.

* In the Finder, I right clicked the installer and chose Compress to zip the installer. This is the only way I could find to get a reliable copy.

* I copied the zip'd installer to a VMware shared folder.

* I uncompressed the installer in my Virtual Machines folder.

* In VMware Fusion, I created a new "macOS 10.12" virtual machine and  the uncompressed High Sierra beta installer.

* I installed VMware Tools in the new High Sierra beta virtual machine. Note that High Sierra blocks VMware Tools from starting at boot time unless you give permission. A dialog box appears. Once I gave permission and rebooted, VMware tools worked as expected regarding display resolution, but there was the drag and drop bug mentioned above.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Does it continue in the Fusion tech preview?

0 Kudos