VMware Communities
bzmillerboy
Contributor
Contributor

High CPU Fusion(2.0.2) running Windows XP sp2

I just started with the 30 day trial of VMware Fusion 2.0.2 on my Mac Book Pro (OS X) and I'm experiencing very high cpu usage (50-70%). I had bootcamp already setup and runnning Windows XP sp2 so I just allowed Fusion to recongnize that copy. I'm not even running anything on the Mac or Windows and I'm still gettting high CPU.

I'd love to purchase and could have great use for this VM but no way am I buying if the trial version isn't even working right! Someone please help!

Thanks!

-Brian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Quick thought: set your virtual machine settings to 1 virtual CPU, if it's not already. How much RAM on your MBP and how much RAM have you allocated to the virtual machine? (Also, take a look at for tips on info to provide when posting.)

0 Kudos
bzmillerboy
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Build: Version 2.0.2 (146107)

Mac Book Pro 2.19ghz 2gb ram

Problem: As soon as I press start from VMware screen and Windows starts the CPU usage on the mac goes to 50, after Windows is completely booted CPU drops to around 20. This happens at all times.

Windows XP Professional service pack 2

VMware settings: 1cpu 512mb

I'm not sure what else to provide? Thanks in advance for you help.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Build: Version 2.0.2 (146107)

Mac Book Pro 2.19ghz 2gb ram

Problem: As soon as I press start from VMware screen and Windows starts the CPU usage on the mac goes to 50,

High usage on booting a virtual machine is normal an expected. You computer is doing a lot at this time.

after Windows is completely booted CPU drops to around 20. This happens at all times.

That is normal, at least on my system. (Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Penryn, 4GB RAM, Fusion 2.0.1 128865) Both for a Vista and a XP-SP3 virtual machine, although my Mac drops down to around 12%. Realize that OSX is "not doing nothing." OSX is running a XP virtual machine in Fusion, which is the VMWare-VMX process you see. So although Windows may "not really be doing anything," OSX still has to check up on it, provide it with some CPU cycles, etc.

Windows XP Professional service pack 2

VMware settings: 1cpu 512mb

I'm not sure what else to provide? Thanks in advance for you help.

This is fine. assuming Windows and your Windows apps run at an acceptable speed. Since you have 2GB of RAM, you may want to try increasing the virtual machine to 1GB of RAM. XP likes 1GB better than 512MB. Otherwise, unless you're having other issues like mouse not moving very smoothly most of the time, it seems like your system is behaving normally.

0 Kudos
bzmillerboy
Contributor
Contributor

Great...if it is normal I can live with that, it just came off odd. I guess if the cpu comes back down to around 20 it's not so bad, my only concern is the temperature that raises to 140-150 degrees.

0 Kudos